Archinect
anchor

Getting desperate - looking for a landscape architect

kbell

Hello,

My apologies if posting this message is an inappropriate use of this forum. My husband and I are remodeling our house in Bungalow Heaven Pasadena. This is a historical neighborhood filled with great, craftsmen bungalows. We are scouring the web trying to find a good landscape architect. We are in need of some good hardscape work in the backyard as well as some landscaping but honestly the hard scape and over all design is the most important / difficult design challenge.

I am hoping that by posting here - I might find some solid recommendations for firms or individuals. I am a graphic designer - I went to Art Center and I have a masters in graphic design as well so I am looking for someone who is trained. Even though this is a residential project, it is a definite design challenge and putting in a bunch of nice plants is not going to solve our problems or address our needs.

It seems that via the web I can only find the top notch, relatively large expensive firms or ones that make me really nervous because it is clear that they don't understand hard scape and overall garden design as a foundation to a great garden.

So if any of you out there can recommend some firms or individuals that would be fantastic! Again - sincere apologies if this post is inappropriate but I thought this site seemed well done and like a solid resource so I thought I would give it a shot.

Thanks so much for reading.

k

Jan 6, 09 10:39 pm
ovalle

Not sure what your budget is but here is a recommendation:

http://www.rios.com/

Jan 6, 09 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Southern california has a wealth of garden designers. one place to start is theASLA firm finder that allows you to search by city and specialty.

Don't just limit your search to Pasadena- there are some great folks worth chatting with on the West Side and Valley.

Rios has done some residential work, but is better known for their institutional and corporate projects.

there are also a few schools worth contacting if you want to hire a student - Cal Poly has an ecological focus, while UCLA extension tends produces folks with a residential focus.

the third option is to hire a design/build firm - they are listed in the phone book and can appear to be a good value (since they don't charge for design work), but you get what you pay for and the construction costs tend to be higher then a traditional design/bid project.

If you share some of your preferences, ie classic 'california' design, ecological, exotic botanical gardens, chaperral or ? we can suggest some folks to reach out to.

Jan 7, 09 10:18 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

uc pomona seems to have a few strong students...

Jan 7, 09 10:32 am  · 
 · 
landcake
http://www.acochran.com/
Jan 12, 09 12:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: