Archinect
anchor

cover letter after getting laid off

elkus

I got laid off from the first job I got after graduated with march. I worked for 6 months and am pretty depressed.

Anyhow, my questions is how to update my cover letter. I need to update one that I did when I looked for the first job.

What should I add? or should I add? should I say I got laid off? (sound stupid though) I have no idea about this.

Any comments/help would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Jan 6, 09 2:10 pm
citizen

Don't mention getting laid off.

This is a common enough occurrence, and might well come up during an interview. There's no good reason to include it up front before you even speak to anyone.

Jan 6, 09 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
estyle

Getting laid off is common in Architecture, especially right now. I would expect anyone who is looking at your resume to read that into it.

I would be up beat in your cover letter. Keep the focus on what you have to offer and what you are hoping to do.

Jan 6, 09 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I imagine the majority of the letters employers get these days are from people who have been laid off.

citizen is right - don't mention it, it will be assumed anyway and you can discuss it if it comes up in the interview. So be thinking about the language you want to use to describe the layoff in an interview - like if you were the first one to go because you and your boss didn't get along....don't say so. Come up with a more generic description of general economic situation affecting the office, etc.

Good luck, and try to stay optimistic

Jan 6, 09 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
elkus

citizen, thx for your input.
Right, I felt stupid when I thought about putting "I got laid off."

So, should I add what I had done for the first job? or should I just say I am a recent graduate instead (not mentionging I worked after finished the degree-obviously they know it by resume though)

Jan 6, 09 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Peter Normand

Check out AIA Minnesota they have tons of cover letters posted online on the job board.

Jan 6, 09 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Don't put down what they don't need to know.

Jan 6, 09 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
elkus

Thx alot for you guys' input. I really appreciate it.

So, I won't mention I got laid off!

But should I even say I WORKED at xxx office after I completed my degree? or should I just say I am a recent graduate from xxx?

I will definitely say why I am interested in your firm and what I can offer.

My biggest concern is the opening paragraph. any suggestions??

Many thanksss!

Jan 6, 09 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yes, definitely mention that you have previous office experience - this shows the potential employer that you won't have the total deer-in-headlights panicky first week in the office that someone with no internship background at all would have! You could say something about learning a lot in six months at your previous job and you are eager to continue expanding your experience in a new position.

Jan 6, 09 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

I'm in a similiar situation ..no MARCH but I have about 2yrs exp.

Get a LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION from your previous boss if you can... This will say to the people that you send your stuff out to "he was a good worker, but due to the economy they had to let him go"

I am still unemployed but I have had 3 interviews in the last 2 months.. two of which im supposed to here back from in the next week or two.

Oh, and stay positive!

Jan 6, 09 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

That's a good idea, outthere - getting a letter from the old firm.

Jan 6, 09 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

you should absolutely mention that you got laid-off. firms don't like to hire losers...but even more importantly they appreciate honesty. if you're forthright about being laid-off, this will help them weed you out of their hiring process but at least they will have some respect for you and then, maybe, you can still be friends.

Jan 6, 09 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
Arzo

f' em. don't go back and work for anybody. become their competition.

Jan 6, 09 9:07 pm  · 
 · 

..get a letter of recommendation, if you can. don't mention the layoff in the letter. your resume will show your career path. be honest in your interview. DO NOT bad-mouth the former employer. typically last in is first out, so the prospective employer will understand. and yes -- honesty is crucial.

Jan 6, 09 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
outed

my two cents (which are probably only worth that these days) as an employer...

go ahead and mention you were laid off - we've had to layoff great people as well. definitely mention your experience - it's what's going to get you a second look right now (most firms i know of are not hiring recent grads. may not be indicative of everyone else - my sample size is fairly small, but most firms i know are looking to shed less experienced people in favor of less numbers of but more experienced people. the theory, as i understand it, is that one 7 year person can get more done than 2 fresh interns but the total firm cost for the 7 year is about 2/3 the amount for the other two. not sure i'm totally buying it, but there it is...)

i'd mention any of the more practical skills you have, especially related to leed or revit. those seem to be the magic words with some of my colleagues.

good luck and don't get too despondent by getting a high percentage of rejection notices. it really isn't you, it really is just the way things are right now...

Jan 6, 09 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
Moody

am so depressed also u not alone elkus any way try this http://www.aiaseattle.org/resumes

Jan 6, 09 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
Peter Normand

I have mixed feelings I think a brief explainer that you are looking for work out of necessity such as “I am seeking work after being laid off” made sense last year since many firms have had bad experiences with interns and mid level professionals jumping ship every 8-14 months to get a higher salary or to work for a more prestigious office. Maybe mentioning your roots in the community is a good idea but I still think the past few years of interns hop-scotching around has many HR and Office managers wondering if this person is going to stay or will they leave after we train them on software or whatnot.

The non-for-profit I was on the board for spent nearly 6K filling an 18k a year part time position and the training, adds, equipment, and initial loss of productivity added up quick. So remember bringing someone on is not cheap or easy. If they quit or walk out or are let go that is a big loss.

Jan 6, 09 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
elkus

Thank you guys so much for the replies. I am trying to see the bright side even though economy is getting worse to a recent graduate.

I am fine with talking about my layoff. I didn't do wrong and I don't think that I wasn't good enough to work for my "previous" firm. Actually, I respect my previous boss even though I got laid off. It's professional....I know they made a hard decision to let me go.

I know it's because of situation but it is hard to take this but I am trying..

We will see what happens.

Again, thx guys.

Jan 6, 09 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
firebird

IMO you should not mention it on your cover letter, people dont usually mention why they left their earlier job (poor pay, horrible projects or Ahole boss) on CL so why mention lay off? Make it look very positive. but i think if it comes up during an interview or screening you should be completely honest about it.
I got laid off in november and recently got another job, the 2 inteviews that i went to in the mean time, none of them asked me why i left or was leaving my previous office. maybe i got lucky, but i was ready to spell it out.
during these times of mass layoffs, offices are also on the lookout for drifting talents, so look at it as an opportunity.
Good luck.

Jan 7, 09 12:00 am  · 
 · 

exactly.. best to tackle the tough questions in person. and if they cannot discern the complexities through your resume and cv -- the you don't want to work there..

Jan 7, 09 12:21 am  · 
 · 

I mentioned getting laid off in my cover letters. Then again nobody even called me back for interview so you probably shouldn't take my advice.

DN
Long Island Architects
Suffolk County, NY Architects

Jan 7, 09 6:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: