Archinect
anchor

My Professor decision not to allow me to next semester......

marmkid

KURT
i thought that was just assumed

Dec 23, 08 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i never taught, i sat on reviews, and i never let a model's failings move me from the basic premise. even if the premise was weak and the model was weaker, i tried really hard to focus on ways to get the student to think more critically about the ideas expressed. now, a point could be made that a model was not reflective of the idea, but that is a different discussion.

when i have been ruthless, i have been ruthless on the lazy, unwilling to challenge themselves students, that thought they could throw a mess together and call it done.

Dec 23, 08 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
zzyzx88

Thanks everyone for the clarity of the situation. It is clear I was I showed a lack of time management on the project, but I honestly spent about 50 to 60 hours a week at studio. I was not one of the ones who went home to work on my projects. Needless to say this project was the biggest grade I was gonna get for the semester and I did not follow through like he had asked. I just got my grades for Cal, Intro to Arch and Art History I and I did very well in those classes. Perhaps I can use this time to take more non-studio classes and practice on craft (I was given an assignment to do over the holidays - one of Brian MacKay-Lyons house designs that I wont get to do now). As for everyone talking about having someone do my models, that is out of the question, one of the reasons I came into Arch was to build things, i just never realized how much time it would take to perfect 'good craft', and now I know. I did not slack on my project, just made it too complicated to perfect in the amount of time that was left (believe me, I did not sleep for two days), I just rushed myself to finish the base and a few pieces with bass wood, and my bad craft showed there. Perhaps next time I will keep it simple, make a linear composition like the rest of the class and get my professors point across. Thanks again.

Dec 23, 08 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

its all a process zzy
good luck with your future studies

dont let this one thing get you too down, over time you will see it is not an end all for you

and remember, you are not the first and wont be the last student who has to repeat a studio, especially early on

Dec 23, 08 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
zzyzx88

thanks marmkid, I will.

Dec 23, 08 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

And remember, the smartest people in the world are here on Archinect.

Dec 23, 08 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

:-)

Dec 23, 08 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

again KURT
isnt that common knowledge?
:)

Dec 23, 08 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

david, a linear solution is not a fix to solve all problems. i mean from what i can gather of your model this project was about spatial organizations and less about building and program. thus, it was about process. process is good, a model that reflects process is good. what would help people understand is scale, is the model 1/8th or 1/4? no one is suggesting that you have someone build your models for you, wait until grad school and let the computer and 3d printer do it for you. i mean no one in GSD can build or draw by hand anything they design now, and that is the ultimate irony in this thread.

Dec 23, 08 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Hmm, beta, looks like you're right -- I think I had confused parts of this post with the other similar one also running right now.

In any case, I *still* feel as though there are probably things we (and the student) are missing here, and I am inclined to assume that we don't know the whole story.

Dec 23, 08 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Very true... We're only getting one side of the story here. Same goes with the other thread.

Dec 24, 08 12:00 am  · 
 · 
binary

once you watch this video.... this thread will be closed and therefore any posts after will result in .....something..not sure yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrjOhQZWU7k

Dec 24, 08 1:29 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

manta, i don't doubt that you are right, there almost always is further explanation that makes the initial post a little murkier.

i think that there is something to consider though - irrespective of what this kid wrote - if the critic meant what he wrote, and nothing was left out then, i don't think the kid deserved the grade. if however, the critic was being "kind" and could not be honest in the assessment, then that is a problem as well. i am not saying crush the kid's dream, just be honest in the deficiencies.

Dec 24, 08 7:34 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

yeah i agree
when a grade is questioned, the professor really needs to give a breakdown of everything that lowered the grade

it can be done in a way that doesnt crush anyone's dreams, you are right, just be honest about it

the point is to help the kid out
by not giving him all his deficiences, the kid will never learn and will be in the same position again in the next studio

Dec 24, 08 9:00 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Why go to the professsor, why go to the dean of the School. Just march your self down to the University Presidents Office and ask for a sit down with the professor and the dean of the school. You will certainly turn heads. If that doesn't work then you should work on crafting models....using only one exacto knife blade per model. Screw having to change blades after ever so many cuts. The challange is to get the fricking most life out of a blade by being zen with your knife. So next time you encounter some stuffy professor who knows shit about building models but think he does then you can snuff him with your dull exacto knife if he desires to give you another D+ next time round.

Dec 24, 08 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

let me say what the others here are not saying:
Change the school - this is your chance.

Dec 24, 08 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
MMatt

I don't know of any schools where you can turn in a sub-par product days after the deadline and still receive an average grade. I'm not so sure a change of venue is going to change the issues.

It was always frustrating to me during undergrad when the folks who pinned up poor work days after the actual review were allowed to advance. It devalues the effort of the entire studio group. It doesn't matter *why* everyone else turned it in on time and at a higher level-- maybe they chose something easier, maybe they manage their time better, maybe they have more experience doing this kind of work. Or maybe those are all just excuses in an academic program (and profession) that is driven by results.

I'm done Scrooging now. I don't suggest that you give up just because of a tough patch, but be very wary of relying on excuses to mask what are apparently some very real shortcomings that you need to address.

.mm

Dec 24, 08 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

yup

Dec 24, 08 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
MMatt

And don't forget to wear sunscreen.

Dec 24, 08 7:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: