Archinect
anchor

What software is most important to learn?

nikmasteed

If I want to learn two knew design programs, which are the two most important for me to know? I am a recent MArch grad, and I have over a year professional experience, but I am not great at photorealistic renderings in particular. I already know AutoCAD, Sketchup, and Adobe Creative Suite (although my Photoshop skills in terms of architectural rendering are not great), and very basic knowledge of FormZ. I don't think I should bother brushing up on FormZ, and I am leaning towards learning Revit and Rhino. Anything that would make me more marketable than those two programs?

Also, any good tutorial books on any of these programs or Photoshop architectural renderings?

Dec 9, 08 1:51 pm
MArch n' unemployed

revit and rhino, end of story

Dec 9, 08 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

who doesn't need a little R&R?

Dec 9, 08 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

microsoft office

Dec 9, 08 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

but yes, i will second revit and rhino.

Dec 9, 08 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
med.

REVIT. I just started using it in my firm, and I have no idea how people still don't use it...

Dec 9, 08 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

I have to recommend Autodesk Ecotect
which is a great design aid as well. Ecotect is great for analyzing your building perfomance.

Daylighting, thermal, PMV,Air Flow (CFD)

Dec 9, 08 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

when did autodesk buy ecotect? man they are like the plague...cool software though

Dec 9, 08 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
nappy

Revit and Rhino..thought i don't know revit.

Is revit easy to learn?
Also, anyone using T-splines plugin for rhino?'

Also how about Digital project?

Dec 9, 08 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

revit is easy to learn - approx 1000x easier than DP. but also about 1000x less cool than DP
t-splines is cool, turns rhino into maya, but the plug-in costs more than rhino...sure you can download the trial over and over, but that got old for me fast

Dec 9, 08 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
Moody

i also want learn revit but am still cool with 3D max

Dec 9, 08 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
induct

Generative Components seems to be gaining fans.

Dec 9, 08 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

it all depends on what you are doing and who you are working with

know it all, is my advise

Dec 9, 08 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

i think the most important computer skill is not being able to use any one particular program, but in being able to switch from one to the next easily. because sure as eggs, which ever one you study at school won't be the one the practice you work in uses.

Dec 9, 08 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

and don't not have a flavor of InteliCAD loaded. Linux would be ideal, Bricscad for Linux the only 1 and what would you want "(bIm)ntelligence" to look like in the free-world?

Dec 9, 08 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

"because sure as eggs, which ever one you study at school won't be the one the practice you work in uses."

Ha! same goes for engineering software!

Dec 9, 08 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
nappy

MArch n' unemployed,

Where did you graduate?

Question: Can the combination of tsplines/rhino/revit do what DP can do?

Dec 10, 08 7:08 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Learn to make pretty renderings and you'll have a job and be able to design/sell your designs. This could be SU with VRay, Revit with Max, etc.

Dec 10, 08 8:56 am  · 
 · 
JRGZ1023

Ive def noticed the majority of firms asking for experience with either Revit or Rhino. I already am familiar and pretty good w/ Rhino of use and I was wondering if anyone can break down the differences (in terms of ease, final products, strengths) between Revit and Rhino while were on that topic here. Thanks

Dec 10, 08 9:16 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I second MS Office, and would like to add to the mix PhotoShop and iTunes. I couldn't survive a day without those three.

Dec 10, 08 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Moody

xbox is very good deal during free time we have after most of us lost his job :D

Dec 10, 08 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Ha! Yes, make sure to study the advanced functions of Itunes. Make sure to really understand podcasts.

Dec 10, 08 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

OpenOffice, just because it is important to always have a alternative to any monopolies tools.
Just like it is Important to know Gimp also.

and if you say iTunes, i will say Pre-AOL winamp w/ m4a plugin and shoutcast

Dec 10, 08 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

A pdf printer. Adobe and/or PdfCreator

Dec 10, 08 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

nappy: berkeley

the knock on revit is, while it's a great documentation tool, it's not the best design tool. DP is both. and while i love rhino and with things like grasshopper you could approach what DP can do, but imo it's better to have that all in one platform. having to go from rhino to revit is not fun.

i learned DP from someone from gehry technologies, i'm not sure you could teach yourself - it's that complicated

Dec 10, 08 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

slightly OT but how much does DP cost per license... $20k/$50k...?

Dec 10, 08 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

a student license, for one year is $200

http://www.gehrytechnologies.com/index.php?option=com_fabrik&Itemid=227

Dec 10, 08 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
Moody

MArch n' unemployed from brekeley and u cant find job :O !!!!!

Dec 10, 08 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

thanks, but how about a non-student license?

Dec 10, 08 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

don't know cowgill, check the link above, there is a form to fill out but no pricing info. you could just email and ask.

i will also say that if you want to play around with DP, but don't want to fork over the money i would suggest trying catia, it can be downloaded easily for free if you catch my drift. it'll be more program than you need, but everything you do need is there.

yup, no job - a few interviews, but everyone has said not until jan 1....i've got the moody blues

Dec 10, 08 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
induct

I am with you I like DP the best but am afraid that in my field of landscape architecture I am somewhat limited in terms of firms and usage. I put the worldwide total at zero.

Dec 10, 08 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
Moody

why u dont move to gulf March n`unemployed its easy to u to go somewhere like dubai or somethin and for good salary

Dec 11, 08 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

why? marriage. if i were young-er and single, perhaps....

Dec 11, 08 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

I recently received a copy of DP as reimbursement for some TA work i've been doing. Even the installer is difficult... it took me 2 tries to get it installed and it still doesn't load properly. GAH!

Dec 11, 08 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

better hurry up then, as Dubai is said to have peaked or be peaking soon, it's all down hill from (t)here.

personally i would like to see less exploitation, slavery and denial of human rights before i would consider it.

Dec 11, 08 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

Gehry.Technologies.Digital.Project.V1R3.SP4.3-SHooTERS ?

Dec 11, 08 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

'Zilla did you try getting in contact with GT? they actually have a really good support system, at least they did when i was using it (2yrs ago).

also, here is another good DP resource:
http://www.gtwiki.org/mwiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Dec 11, 08 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

also i see a x64 sp8.2

Dec 11, 08 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
Moody

oh ok , i wish to u good luck then MArch n' unemployed hope things easy to ur family :\

Dec 11, 08 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

thanks moody. i guess when it rains it pours. my shoulder popped out of its socket last night 3 times, i may have a torn labrum. wonderful.

Dec 11, 08 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
Moody

uh ohhhh :((((( i am so sorry MArch n' unemployed well its the same ere with me i got ulcer , heart truobles and without job . now i cant go to doc coz no money and i didnt practice my career for long time coz i just got graduated last year so :/ u not alone !!!

i hope ur shoulder become well soon ...

btw have any one heard about Cairo competition

Dec 11, 08 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

whoa moody, i wish you well as well. take care of yourself and best of luck finding whatever it is you're looking for. im feeling good about 2009, for me and you!

Dec 11, 08 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

software to learn.....RHino+Maya........+ Ecotect---CSdesign

Dec 11, 08 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
Moody

i hope so March n`unemployed coz i just saw on news the international bank said 2009 going to be worse :(((( .....

btw take a look on dat :

http://www.uia-architectes.org/texte/england/Ramses/2-annonce.html

Dec 11, 08 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
Moody

i hope so March n`unemployed coz i just saw on news the international bank said 2009 going to be worse :(((( .....

btw take a look on dat :

http://www.uia-architectes.org/texte/england/Ramses/2-annonce.html

Dec 11, 08 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

yup, time to get the creative juices flowing again, i think a competition is just what i need...good thing its my left shoulder and im right handed! best of luck to you

oh and diff - when did autodesk buy ecotect?

Dec 11, 08 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
Moody

i think autodesk buy companys more than its coustomers buy they proudcuts lol

Dec 11, 08 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
Moody

and i thin an 100 000 $ can make ur shoulder better ;-) hehe

Dec 11, 08 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

^ true dat....monopolizing whores

Dec 11, 08 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

MArch

Sometime in July of this year...I am all about ecotect right now. And I am hoping that Autodesk helps bring ecotect to another level. Ecotect is great software and hopefully with autodesk now behind it -it can be even better

Dec 12, 08 12:59 am  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

i agree, i really like it as well...i hadn't used it since may, as much as i hate autodesk a little money behind it will hopefully just add to an already really useful and fun software

i use the conversion tool everyday, i love that

Dec 12, 08 1:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: