Archinect
anchor

What software is most important to learn?

binary

with all the software you need to know in an arch firm... why not go into product design/engineering/i.d.

Dec 12, 08 1:15 am  · 
 · 
bRink

Obviously you need autocad, but having that, I'd recommend learning revit and 3D studio max. And develop your techniques in photoshop.

Revit will be increasingly common, it's the autocad of the future. Autodesk is dumping loads of money into development in Revit.

Revit actually by itself is not bad for 3D visualization IMHO if you aren't looking for something too fancy.

You can go pretty far rendering with 3D studio max and photoshop. There are professional renderers who only us 3D studio and photoshop and produce some pretty high quality stuff... Post-production aside, IMHO photoshop skills are essential to be a strong rendering, to be able to create your own custom material maps, or modify materials...

Dec 12, 08 2:02 am  · 
 · 
harold

Learn Revit Architecture 2010 which is coming out this spring. With this new release you wouldn't be needing Rhino or even a generative algorithmic software like Grasshopper or Generative Components anymore.

Learn Ecotech
Learn Quantity Takeoffs
Learn Project Newport.

Dec 12, 08 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

won't need rhino? i'll believe that when i see it

Dec 12, 08 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

Seconded. Until Revit can quickly translate my brain's thoughts into 3d form... I'm not on board.

Dec 12, 08 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Moody,

The UAE is a ticking time bomb economically.

Dec 12, 08 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
harold

I'm going to be suided for doing this so here is a screenshot .I'll take it off within a few hours.

Dec 12, 08 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

OK, color me slightly impressed - are you a tester harold, or work for autodesk?

Dec 12, 08 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
harold

Just a beta tester. But this is the alpha version that is only available for 3rd party companies. They haven't started beta testing yet. Unlike other companies who have public beta testing, Autodesk is extremely secretely about their developments.

Dec 12, 08 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

harold--

is that a transform gizmo a la just about every other 3D program? does it only work globally on a surface/object or can "polys" be isolated and transformed? does the swept blend work with 2 rails now? Does this "divided surface" tool replace the curtain wall tool?

can you make 3D paths on the fly now or do you still have to resort to making reference planes first?

Dec 12, 08 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

btw,

I say beyond any 3D/drafting program: Excel is very useful to be proficient in--it comes in handy when doing code analysis, program analysis…the ability to parse data into usable/digestible chunks is a very good skill to have.

Dec 12, 08 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
Moody

well Apurimac all the global economy is crap :S

Dec 12, 08 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
harold

For what i've seen, the gizmo works like other 3d programs. I'm not sure if the swept blend is being replaced, but the surface was created through a new loft tool. you draw multiple curves and then you select them and it creates the surface. The curtain wall tool is still there, but there is this new curtain wall family template. That is actually what you see in the picture. If you look closely you can see the panels families in the project browers. It also looks like these shapes where create without ref planes.

Dec 12, 08 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

harold ~ i missed the picture, could you please post another?

Dec 13, 08 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Dam--I didn't get to see the image.

Dec 13, 08 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
nappy

So...will Revit Architecture 2010 "replace" rhino?

I didn't see the image but there's a lot more you can do in rhino aside from doing lofts...lofting curves is one of the most basic ways to create surfaces in rhino.

Also, I wonder if the NEXT version of rhino would fully integrate parametric modeling ala maya; which would be great.

Dec 15, 08 5:46 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

mmmm surface from networks curves with history on mmm

i think more than it is about replacing is is about complementing and interoperability

Dec 15, 08 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
harold

So what can Rhino do more than lofting curves that is significant to mainstream US Architecture?

Dec 16, 08 6:58 am  · 
 · 
harold

More images

Dec 16, 08 11:44 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

sure it can do anything autocad can do documentation and pagelayout wise plus so much more after you add Archcut visualARQ Grasshopper Paneling Tools and most all the most popular render engines(vray Brazil Flamingo Penguin Fryrender Maxwell) as well as Bongo for animation.

& don't forget Lab Tools

Dec 16, 08 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
harold

So i assume you use Rhino at your firm for everything (documentations, cost estimates, specwritings, class detections etc. ) . No autocad needed????

Dec 16, 08 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Harold,

Revit 2010 looks very cool -thanks for the sneak peak.

What I find funny is when you look at all the websites and blogs of people pushing Revit - you will see that all these people transitioned straight from autocad to revit which makes me think that they never had the desire or dedication to learn some of the highend or even semi high power modelers. I am not saying that no high end modelers use revit (because they do), but from looking online thats what you see. In other words These previous CAD monkeys feel like big powerhouse modelers, especially since Revit is so super easy.

I am cool with revit (user since version8) and am looking foward to 2010.

Just my opinion..and sorry if I offend any archinectors

Dec 16, 08 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

revit is super easy, but man it makes you miss any one of those "high-powered" modelers at times (hell some days I'd even rather be using Truespace or even vanilla ACAD)

looking forward to 2010, except for that damn ribbon

Dec 16, 08 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
harold

Any BIM software will always feel awkward compared to those high end modellers. High end modellers don’t have to deal with keeping areas, schedules, volume calculations, joints, wall clean up and all those thins in sync. It’s also quite obvious that most projects you see done in Revit are considered in the eyes of most archinectors as boring and lame. It’s because 99 % of firms in the USA are doing these types of projects.

That said, there is a huge discrepancy between college and the real world. It’s no secret that most archinectors are students who idolize starchitects like Zaha Hadid who use software like Maya and Rhino. Doing a quick search on Archinect you’ll see words Rhino, grasshopper, explicit history out numbers basic architectural words like floor slabs, walls, doors. That’s primarily the reason why Autodesk incorporating advance modelling tools in Autocad and Revit the coming releases. They also have Dr. Aish (the Generative Component godfather) working on a plug-in-or software, similar to Generative components and Grasshopper. It’s to cater towards current high end autodesk users like SHoP, SOM, etc. and second of all is to get students on their platform. Most students will end up working for Joe the Architect that thinks that Rhino is an animal and at the same time can’t get BIM knowledgeable out of school architects, because they’ve only been exposed to blob making architecture and software.

Dec 17, 08 4:35 am  · 
 · 
cowgill

deltek... to get yo timesheet in fool!

Dec 17, 08 11:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: