Archinect
anchor

architecture being used for fashion photoshoots

i was contacted by a fashion house and they wanted to use my apartment for a shoot. i was flattered more than anything and so was quite willing in exchange for a print from it and my name in the credits as Interior Styling.

but it made me wonder though, what is the usual compensation for such a shoot? does anyone have any experience in this?

i sneaked a personal shot from it -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/artifice/3075154074/

Dec 1, 08 3:32 pm
A Center for Ants?

Call an agent. Seriously. My friend has an agent for his house and they've gotten a few things shot there. They'll know what the going rate is and get you the best deal.

Dec 1, 08 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

True story: When I worked in Portland, my boss was contacted to inquire about using our very cool office space in the Madonna movie that was filmed in that city (with Willem Dafoe, and dripping wax; terrible movie; too lazy to google it).

The contract for the use stipulated things like the maximum amount of money a desk Madoona had film-sex on was allowed to be sold for.

My boss ultimately declined as he was worried the space would be trashed.

Cool, p2an, and an agent might not be a bad idea!

Dec 1, 08 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

lb, haha i wonder what a desk that madonna has had "sex" on it is worth!
yeah, i must admit i was quite surprised at how much equipment and people 'invaded' my apartment. all the team needed to do such a shoot and everyone there seemed to have an assistant (even the assistants!)

Dec 1, 08 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
j'aime

a friend of my parents has a very nice house, with swimming pool and amazing view etc.....they got paid 5k for a week for a local tv series, and did 10k worth of damage! i.e destroying carpets and furnishings....

Dec 1, 08 4:14 pm  · 
 · 

there is no usual comp for it. it all depends how big is their budget and how commercial is the shoot. sometimes a credit for styling and use of a photograph is more than usual and sometimes few thousand dollars is sufficient if there are large crews involved with potential damage. tv, music video, commercial and movie crews are pigs. they "will" destroy few things. they'll patch it or give you a comp. next day they are somewhere else doing the same thing and already forgotten about your "pretty" place.
from the picture, it looks like they were "nice" people.

Dec 1, 08 4:34 pm  · 
 · 

this seems to confirm other stories i had heard that crews also leave a fair amount of damage behind. i must say that at my place when they left everything was in perfect order, so i was very happy. they also obeyed my (slightly) obsessive rule of wearing slippers (or socks only) in the house. (you can see the hair stylist in the picture wearing some very unglamorous slippers).

Dec 1, 08 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

when I was working in LA, I went to a house that my office had done. The day that we went, Maxim magazine was shooting a cover there (hot girl in skimpy undies!!!)

Dec 1, 08 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

They were supposed to use my house as Natalie Portman's in the film Garden State. We didn't have an above-ground pool, and apparently it was too "clean" so they wound up using one in Montclair.

Dec 1, 08 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
I035PEP

Taliesin West was used a lot when I was there. I know Escada shot for a few days and actually had male models, most times they were uber skinny female models with their shirts pulled tight and pinned the back to make them fit. I'm pretty sure they still have shoots and I've never heard of any damage as there's usually someone from the FLLW Foundation at the shoot the entire time.

Dec 2, 08 10:29 am  · 
 · 

when my wife and i went to the barcelona pavilion in 2000 there was a fashion shoot going on. made for a pretty cool way to see the place - gave it sort of a different twist. and it was very clean and neat. also made my (non-architect) wife appreciate the pavilion MUCH more than she would have otherwise.

Dec 2, 08 10:49 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Hmmmm... sounds like a tab on Craig's List home page...

"Pieces of Furniture on Which Madonna has had Sex:

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15"

Dec 2, 08 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
joearch8

Philip Johnson's Glass House used for Seven For All Mankind (the jeans) for a photoshoot, they're dedicating their whole line to the home....

http://www.7forallmankind.com/

Dec 2, 08 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
chaos3WA

i cringe when i see clothes or car ads in front of a gehry or a calatrava building. i dunno why. just feels very odd.

the amount you can charge probably depends on how unique your space is. if its generic and they could do it anywhere... why pay you a premium?

one house i keep seeing in movies and ads is case study house #23 by pierre koenig. what a great house. i'm suprised that nowhere in the hollywood hills has been able to match that combination of architecture+topography+view.

Dec 2, 08 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

i think the people @ commonwealth have been asked for their studio space for couple of fashion shootings also www.commonwealth.nu

Dec 2, 08 7:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: