Archinect
anchor

ASAP

crave

Can I just say how sick and tired I am of hearing this or reading it in an email? Actually, I don't really recall hearing this in a phone message, it's usually just from someone hiding behind their email.

ASAP, no shit! I actually finished it last Thursday but thought I would wait a week to send it to you...duh!

Nov 19, 08 3:55 pm
Apurimac

I hate that expression too, especially as a substitution for a hard deadline.

Nov 19, 08 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
cmu268

hah i agree....anybody who's a hard working sane individual is trying to get whatever it is done as soon as they can. I've never met anyone so vindictive to a client or consultant that they purposely delay finishing something.

Nov 19, 08 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i often delay or otherwise withholds things...usually just out of curiosity

Nov 19, 08 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
crave

as soon as I see ASAP I purposely slow down, go to lunch, walk around the block or leave early...that'll teach'em

Nov 19, 08 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i file this in the same bin i use for filing emails that come in labeled HIGH PRIORITY.

Nov 19, 08 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
secretingredient

Somewhat related:

Oxford Researchers List Top 10 Most Annoying Phrases

link

The great hierarchy of verbal fatigue includes:

1 - At the end of the day
2 - Fairly unique
3 - I personally
4 - At this moment in time
5 - With all due respect
6 - Absolutely
7 - It's a nightmare
8 - Shouldn't of
9 - 24/7
10 - It's not rocket science

Nov 19, 08 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I use at least three, maybe four of those regularly.

But I *never* say "should(n't) of". Sets my teeth on edge.

What I also say too often:

Honestly.
For godssake.
What's up?
Crap.

What I don't say often enough: "vado, let's get a coffee".

Nov 19, 08 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
some person

"ASAP" is meaningless to me. It means the requester is lazy or just a jerk. (Me: "What is the deadline for these ten submittals that you just dumped on me?" Them: "ASAP. They are all equally important.")

Rather than use "ASAP," I usually suggest deadlines and give the responder a chance to confirm. Or if there are multiple tasks, I make the effort to prioritize them. It's the responsible and proactive thing to do.

Nov 19, 08 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Usually I hear ASAP in the context of: ohmygodohmygodmohmygodifwedon'tgetthesedrawingsoutwe'reallgoingtobefiredanditsyourfault

Nov 19, 08 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

befiredanditsallyourfault

Nov 19, 08 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

the bastards

Nov 20, 08 1:27 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I only use it when I mean it. Like I need it now, not 3 days from now when you feel like getting around to it. For instance, you wrote the wrong date on your drawings, fix it and send them back to me ASAP, you dufus.

Nov 20, 08 8:37 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

I prefer to specify that work be completed ALAP... as late as possible. I don't want to see it at the end of the week, I don't want to see it tomorrow, and I certainly don't want to see it later today.

Nov 20, 08 10:26 am  · 
 · 

Nov 20, 08 2:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: