Archinect
anchor

How Not To Design Crap (Advice)

position

Ultimately you can't change a client, at least not fast enough. By the time they've got to you, you have to deal with them as they are more or less.

Get involved in your local architecture/art/design community in order to educate. Participate in or start architectural tours, start a local design magazine, etc. Group-think/group education is much more effective than one-on-one 'coaching'.

If a group or organization is doing/saying something, it suddenly has an authority to the individual, who would otherwise not listen to your soapbox speech.

Nov 19, 08 9:14 am  · 
 · 
rodgerT

"People don't go to the doctor and tell them how to treat them and they don't go to their lawyers and tell them how to handle their legal issues."

- People don't tell doctors what to do because if they did they might die.

- People don't tell lawyers what to do because if they did they might either loose all their money or go to jail.

Whats the worst thing that can happen when you tell an architect what to do? something becomes arbitrarily decontextualised!?!?!

OH NOEZ!!

Architect

Nov 20, 08 2:34 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I was being ironic too citizen, it runs both ways.

Cute one roger.

Nov 20, 08 9:25 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i definitely tell my doctor how to treat me. More pain killers!!!

Nov 20, 08 9:29 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Oh, and BTW when you tell an architect you want an EIFS facade even though the arch tells you they're garbage and usually leak, and you force them to do it anyway then the worst that can happen is alot worse than a badly designed building: you get an non-performing one.

Nov 20, 08 9:29 am  · 
 · 
citizen

My hunch is that if you polled a few lawyers and doctors, you'd get an ear full on all the whining and fussing they get from clients and patients. Vado's quip above is funny, but that's probably only one kind of meddling patients do with their MDs.

Nov 20, 08 9:42 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

1. people always get second opinions from doctors, what they don't do is tell the doctor HOW to perform the surgery.

2. people always tell their attorneys what to do, and that's why people are in jail and lose their money.

Nov 20, 08 10:28 am  · 
 · 
citizen

So, let the Whine Festival continue!

Nov 20, 08 10:38 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac
Complaints and Liabilities Architects LLC
Nov 20, 08 10:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: