Archinect
anchor

Question from the inexperience

TenaciousArchitect2b

Hi guys,

So I just started this wonderful journey of becoming an architect( if god willing) and still finding myself asking questions(questions that I somehow should’ve innate knowledge of but guess what, I don’t!)So here I’m asking you guys and I hoping to get a favorable answer without the reaction of “OMG u dont know?”

So here is my question: Can architect build small homes without a builder, a contractor or an engineer? And if I’m starting this now, which route is visible for me to build small homes without seeking external help(such as builder, a contractor or an engineer) ? Or would it be better for me to seek a degree in civil engineering (I hope not, physics and me don’t mix well)

Thanks a million!

Nov 15, 08 2:04 pm
cmu268

A lot of it depends on the jurisdiction you're working in. There are a lot of architects that do design/build, but I'm sure you still have to meet the licensing/insurance requirements that a contractor has to.

Nov 15, 08 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I would be surprised if there is any jurisdicton in America which will grant a building permit without a licensed general contractor's license number and builder's insurance associated with it. Usually you have to provide a copy of the GC's License number and a certificate of insurance filed showing you have at least $1 or $2 million in builder's insurance, depending on the city / size of project.

If for some reason you don't need a permit (doubtful but some jurisdictions are more lax than others), or if you choose to build without a building permit, however, then obviously you can do whatever you want. But if anything happens or if you should have filed a permit and didn't, there could be dire consequences. (Fines, possibly loss of license.)

However I have heard that it is not *that* hard to get a GC license. You do have to sit an exam, and you have to qualify for and pay for insurance.

Nov 15, 08 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
Atom

He could do it and here is how.

Tenacious (not an) Architect draws the plans and has the structural engineer sketch and calc it. Or he uses conventional framing and span tables etc. provided or approved by the building department thereby doing it all himself. Another option is to use pre-calced trusses from the lumber yard (I've seen architects use pre-calced trusses too). The owner signs a form that they will be Owner / Builder and hold workmans comp for the workers they directly hire. Then the owner gets sub contractors that have their own workmans comp certs. Tenacious (not an) Architect takes the plans through the permitting.

Tenacious (not an) Architect needs no degree in anything and no stamp to design small homes. That is what a home designer is, someone not qualified or certified by any governing body. No need for an architect for a small home project. In the USA it is your right to make your own small home.

Architecture colleges can run up a big bill - $50,000 - $80,000 is not an uncommon cost. Add the cost of living for 5 years and tell me what number you come up with. If you took that money (or credit) and put it into a small home you might have enough to leverage building a small home.

He can still get a permit without a stamp. If he failed to obtain a permit the owner would have to disclose to a future buyer that there was no permit. There may be fines but he doesn't have a license so he won't risk the possibility of loosing his license. Permitting the house after the fact requires some hassle and testing the concrete with an x-ray machine etc.

Nov 15, 08 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

do you know anything about construction?

It has been my experience that just because an architect may think that he or she knows how to build what they have in mind, 90% of the time they will fuck up

Nov 16, 08 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
TenaciousArchitect2b

1st thank you all for replies, I really appreciate your informative replies.

Well guys I’m asking these questions because someday I would like to go back to my country in HOPES of rebuilding my country from the ground up (my country is currently suffering from a bad civil war)
So I’m just building myself up for that HOPE to materialize someday and seeing if I really need go into the architecture field or civil engineer field to be able to build small things( if no restrictions such as zoning are in placed)

Again thanks a million :)

Nov 17, 08 10:18 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

don't forget that these answers only really apply in the US, other countries may be very different.

Nov 17, 08 5:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: