Archinect
anchor

jobs in London

RevisionV

just wondering what peoples experiences were of trying to get a job in london in the current climate. I am hearing of lay offs, but doesn't seem that bad - could just be me.

I am fully qualified with a couple years of experience, and am desperately looking to change jobs in the new year, hopefully by choice but could be laid off... Any advice? People in similar positions? Suck it up and try to stay put?

Nov 13, 08 11:40 am
justavisual

Hmm, depends on the company...i have heard of lots of layoffs and hiring freezes, but apply anyway and see what happens?

Companies doing hotels and with work overseas are doing fine i think.

Nov 13, 08 11:59 am  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

my experience is that pretty much no-one is hiring in london. I have been looking for about two/three months and no luck yet. Having said that, the jobs that are advertised are asking for practical experience, which isn't something i have post part II... so you should find it easier. London has seen quite a few layoffs- though for some reason they are not widely advertised... apparently zaha got rid of 50, and even in small offices one or two have quite often been let go. To give you some idea I received a reply from a job advertised a month ago, saying sorry it took so long to get back to you but we received 400 responses... And it wasn't even an especially good job...

Too many people for too few jobs, and i think its going to stay that way unless it miraculously stabilises...

Nov 14, 08 7:45 am  · 
 · 
Moody

All ask for seniors and I was wonder how I going to be a senior if I can find a junior job !!! lol this age is mess - The down of architecture

Nov 15, 08 2:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: