Archinect
anchor

The Story of Stuff

Antisthenes
The Story of Stuff

FULLSCREEN flash linked

Nov 9, 08 11:40 am
Emilio

The "story of stuff" shows the double bind, the dilemma, the catch-22 of our "modern" world. We should be breaking our slavery to being merely "consumers", yet we cannot, because in the world the way we have set it up, that is a "crisis". For instance, I just read that retail chains and stores are predicting a 20% drop in purchasing this holiday season. According to the above video, that should be good news, since it means less devastation of the environment, less pollution, and less crap going to the landfill in about 6 months; but in fact what it really represents is a crisis to our economy, to jobs, and to all that we deem to be our stability. How to break this catch-22 is the real dilemma.

Nov 9, 08 7:05 pm  · 
 · 

I can see a return to that '60's ideal of fleeing from the 'rat race' to the wilder wilderness...

Nov 10, 08 12:22 pm  · 
 · 

... flotsam and jetsam being the new gadgets, picked up on the beach rather than on the high street

Nov 10, 08 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

breeding chickens is probably the New Cool ;-)

Nov 10, 08 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I was hoping that would be enlightening and actually backed up with some facts, diagrams with data and or examples because part of my thesis revolves around how wasteful our economy is. But alas, no it was just more of what I already know backed up in some cases with sheer ignorance.

Nov 10, 08 4:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: