Archinect
anchor

Role Definition?

farwest1

In my last office, I was a designer. I was one of a team of people working on large projects. At any given time, there was the project manager and then usually one or two designers working with the principal to figure out the design. My contributions and and design ideas were often what was built.

But I always have trouble explaining my role. If I say I was "the designer' it sounds like I was the sole designer, which isn't true. If I say I was "a designer" on the project, it sounds like there were many, many people designing it, which wasn't true. If I say I "helped with the design" it sounds like I was fetching coffee or something. If I say I was co-designer, it just sounds wrong.

Any ideas about how I should explain my role? The best way I can explain it, which doesn't sound right, is that I was "a key designer on the project."

Nov 7, 08 7:59 pm
some person

how about "a project designer" or even "the project designer"

Nov 7, 08 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

Good thought. But if I say project designer, it sort of implies that I was the head designer or oversaw other designers, which wasn't true—doesn't it?

Nov 7, 08 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

At my last firm, the person running the project was the Project Manager, and the person dealing most with design was the Project Architect. The PA worked under the PM and both worked closely with the founding partner of the firm, who was the main driver of most designs in the office.

Nov 7, 08 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
Atom

AIA has a hierarchy mapped out - or corporate ladder if you prefer.

Junior Designer
Intermediate Designer
Senior Designer

Nov 7, 08 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

how ambiguous is CAD monkey?

to answer your question, "a" project designer sounds about right,, anyway,, whoever you are talking to must know how things work,, right?

Nov 8, 08 3:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: