Archinect
anchor

long weekend in Wien

cowgill

I spent over a month there last summer so I got to see a lot of the prototypical touristy stuff and more than my share of some off-the-path attractions but i'm looking to tap into the wealth of traveled knowledge here for some advice...

my question to those who have been to wien is: Since i already have a good familiarity of Wien itself, what can i NOT miss during this short 4 day November stint?

Kirche am Steinhof, the Gasometers, and a handful of others are the only buildings i didn't get to up close but i'm looking for some hole in the wall nuggets that most people can't find and would provide an authentic Viennese experience for my sweets.

*This isn't intended to be a full-assault ground-pounding architectural expedition since my gf isn't an archie.

Nov 5, 08 9:56 am
cowgill

... also nightcaps at the Loos Bar will be mandatory for this trip :)

Nov 5, 08 9:57 am  · 
 · 

the first thing i thought of was the church am steinhof, so i hope you make it this time. best to approach by walking, imo.

Nov 5, 08 10:03 am  · 
 · 
cowgill

indeed. That approach is epic & I'm keeping my fingers crossed that trees aren't totally bare.

Nov 5, 08 10:09 am  · 
 · 
justavisual

Post Sparkasse building: Otto Wagner if you havent seen it yet...

http://www.e-architect.co.uk/vienna/vienna_building.htm

and zanoni & zanoni for gelato!

Nov 5, 08 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i was there in late 2000 - never got to do it but there's a 'third man' walking tour that sounded very cool.

Nov 5, 08 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski
fabios
Nov 5, 08 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

@ justavisual - I have seen the Postsparkasse though i'm sure I'll have to revisit it again this trip. Did you know that the Himmelb[l]au rooftop remodel is just around the corner from the Postsparkasse?

@ el - i need to watch the movie first but that sounds like fun... maybe we can multitask and turn it into a city-wide pub crawl as well ;)

Nov 5, 08 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

Fabios looks amazing!

Nov 5, 08 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
outed

one area i found interesting (but i have no idea how we got there) - there's a 20's suburb development, very much like the weissenhof siedlung in germany. homes by loos, rietveld, hoffman - most were targeted towards a entry level housing i believe. we got into a couple, but most are private homes.

there was another suburb heitzing - we went out to that had a lot of loos homes - the scheu house, steiner house, and a few others. there was also a plecnik house out there as well with some wild facade details.

i'll third seeing the postparkasse again - a truly magnificent building. also, i think they've renovated loos' merchant building across from the palace entrance (the menswear shop on the ground floor). worth seeing for sure. american bar is nearby.

the karl marx hof didn't really do it for me personally.

as for more recent work, the hans hollein shopping center downtown (i think it's called haus haus) was kind of interesting, in a train wreck kind of way.

finally, i think there's a couple of newer museums in town since i was there last. not sure of the verdict on them, but probably worth a visit with a significant other.

Nov 5, 08 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
dan_who

I moved to Vienna in March, and oddly enough I haven't done any of the tourist stuff (perhaps i'm saving it for visitors?), but I do know some of the bars. And here are a few buildings that have been recommended to me. Enjoy!

Wotruba Chuch, modern concrete church, in the outskirts of Vienna. have no idea where tho.
Rabenhof Theater - 3rd district
Some library, modernish, don't know the name. U6 line @ Burggasse - 7th district
T.Mobile center - 3rd or 4th district. Not too far from Gasometer

bars
Tanzcafé Jenseits. 6th district near Mariahilfstrasse (former brother. very fun spot)
Futuregarden - 6th district near Mariahilfstrasse (sparse and smoke-filled. a locals favorite)
Pavilion?? - 1st district. in the Stadtpark
Blue Box (and other bars) - at the Gürtel near the 7th or 8th
Flex Cafe - 2nd district, off the Donaukanal
First Floor - 1st district

Various heuringers. These are small family owned wineries found in the outlying districts. A nice place to grab a bite and spend an afternoon. I went to one in the Währing district. Name started with a Z.

Neighborhoods & streets
Neubaugasse, between Burggasse and Mariahilfstrasse is a nice street to walk. As is Gumpendorferstrasse (but closer to the ring). And you can get a nice breakfast at Point of Sale or the Breakfast Club in the 4th district, near the Naschmarkt.

Nov 7, 08 10:43 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

oh man! i just remembered the "Zum Weissen Rauchfangkehrer".
ate there for dinner one night - soooooooo good.

there (was/is) a cool restaurant on the top floor of a renovated music school...can't remember the name or precise location. gah.

Nov 7, 08 10:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: