Archinect
anchor

Breaking Back Into the Field

jbushkey

After a about 5 years of working outside the field (sometimes gaining valuable experience) I am trying to get back into it. Great timing I know :) but anyways:

A position I am interested in states "must be proficient with Revit". I do not know Revit but I am trying to learn it now. I am in the process of getting some tutorial movies and finding resources online. I was very good with AutoCAD. My plan might be to somehow state I have passing Revit skills and am still learning more. Then if I get an interview I will study hard for a few days to learn some basics before I sit down in the interview. If I get offered the job I will devote most of my waking hours before I start to Revit. I would also bring a Revit manual to the office with me.

Is it possible to learn to be productive on Revit in a week or two? I learned Microstation in a few days and was chosen to be the lead for that program in a previous office.

I realize stating skills I am learning may not be fully ethical. I do not plan to imply I am a Revit wizard, but I need to get past the resume phase and get a face to face interview. I really want this position and there is very little else to choose from right now. I was also considering offering a week or two of volunteer work to prove myself with the understanding that if I was hired I would receive back pay for my previous work.

I still have not decided how to proceed and am looking for some sage advice. I found some posts about Revit tutorials here but if you know of any good free Revit tutorials out there I am all ears.

Nov 1, 08 12:58 pm
RevisionV

what were you doing outside the profession?
That might be your bigger obstacle, than revit.

Your plan sounds pretty sound, except for 2 week volunteer thing. If they're interested, they'll be taking you on a somewhat of a trial period anyway. I don't think you should suggest it.

Nov 1, 08 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Just be honest with them and tell them you're learning Revit and you should have basic proficiency with it by the time you start. Also, if they like you and are serious about hiring you they can probably introduce you to the resident revit guru and he may be able to point out what parts of the software you need to learn more in that office.

Nothing will make a new boss madder at you that making him/her feel like he/she was lied to during the interview by you not stating your skills accurately even if you didn't really mean to. It is a really, really bad way to start a relationship with a boss.

Nov 1, 08 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

dont worry, just tell them the truth, and, its a software, you can learn it in a few days, and will naturally get better through daily use,,
good luck

Nov 1, 08 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: