Archinect
anchor

Writing on Walls

emicion

I am currently researching the use of text in Architecture and I am having trouble finding good examples for case studies. Specifically, I am looking for buildings that have words on walls, facades, or any other part of the building. The more creative the design, the better. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Oct 30, 08 2:00 am
esfk
pentagram on the nytimes building
Oct 30, 08 3:32 am  · 
 · 
randomized

both from Neutelings Riedijk

Oct 30, 08 5:13 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Jenny Holzer at night on the ceiling of Mies' NeueNationalGalerie, Berlin.

Ian Hamilton Finlay's wall texts (e.g. wave, hard to find images though) often carved into external stone or painted onto interior walls.

Perhaps also look at the simplest architectural text: the ubiquitous street number, or the ephemeral billboard.

Oct 30, 08 9:47 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?
Oct 30, 08 11:02 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

H&deM's IMKZ Library:

and their SUVA extension:

Oct 30, 08 11:16 am  · 
 · 
Cranky Pantz

the alexandria library in egypt by snohetta

Oct 30, 08 11:29 am  · 
 · 
djPhil

Are you including graffiti? I'd like to see an example of graffiti that actually works well with the architecture.

Oct 30, 08 11:51 am  · 
 · 
for a good time call...
Oct 30, 08 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

who says you need to write on walls to make graffiti?

Oct 30, 08 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

morphosis,, international elementary school, caltrans, university of toronto graduate housing, and other projects too

Oct 30, 08 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
e

Eye Magazine, Volume 17 Spring 2008 Issue has an article entitled Public Lettering

It is written by John Berry. It has a number of good images in it including stairwell graphics at the Bloomberg L.P. Headquarters by Paula Scher/Pentagram, a carved wood floor at the Seattle Public Library by artist Ann Hamilton and other interior graphics, the Lucent Technologies Center for Arts Education by Paula Scher/Pentagram, a wayfinding system at the Barbican Centre by Cartlidge Levene and Studio Myerscough and more.

Oct 30, 08 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

brilliant e.

you going to the aia awards?

Oct 30, 08 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
emicion

Thanks everyone for the help! For me it has been a pain searching for examples.

DjPhil, I find the subject of graffiti, if it is a thoughtful expression, interesting as well. I think a collaboration between a graffiti artist and an architect would produce unique results.

If anyone else is interested in this topic, I suggest you check out the work of Ben Rubin at www.earstudio.com I find both "Four Stories" and "Listening Post" very fascinating. Please share your thoughts.

Oct 30, 08 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

don't forget Venturi's SAM

Oct 30, 08 7:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: