Archinect
anchor

When do they use computer 3D?

Deidra

We've already worked with designer teams and with marketing teams. Recently, I've switched to asking real estate agencies and brokers if they use or need any photorealistic 3D. A lot of arhcitecture professionals do 3D by themsleves. It's often considerably low quality, but it fits them perfectly well. So, when is there a need for photorealistic computer 3D visuals?

Oct 29, 08 6:39 am
j-turn

Typically, the client will spring for photo-realistic renderings when they want to go public with project for either planning or marketing purposes.

Oct 29, 08 7:03 am  · 
 · 
Deidra

So, it's usually the client, not the architect who wants photorealistic 3D.

Oct 29, 08 7:20 am  · 
 · 
jhooper

The architect doesn't need the photorealistic images to know what the building looks like. The client/public does. Besides, they're the ones paying for it.

Oct 29, 08 10:26 am  · 
 · 
Deidra

But the architect needs phorealistic images to sell his ideas to the client, doesn't he?

Oct 29, 08 11:19 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

By the terms of a standard AIA contract renderings aren't basic services. They're additional services, meaning the architect can't bill the client for them unless the client has specifically agreed to pay for renderings.

Some clients want renderings - for reasons discussed above - but many are not willing to add those services.

The architect may of course use renderings for his own marketing purposes, and there may also be situations in which he may choose to eat the cost of renderings on a particular project in order to provide that level of detail to a client.
But ordinarily if the architect is doing 3D models for his own use during the design of a project then he is often doing them for reasons that don't require photorealism (i.e. for massing studies, studies of intersections, basic lighting diagrams, progressions of spaces, views from and of building, etc.) and quicker in-house models may be perfect for his requirements, even if far inferior in terms of photorealism to what a rendering house might provide.

Oct 29, 08 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
j'aime

sometimes it can be required, such as in London, i think at times you need them..for large planning permissions...and then new approved view 3d has become a thing...where all dimensions are supposedly accurate in 3d...i do say supposedly...

Oct 29, 08 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
ihearthepavilion

Architects sometimes need/want flashy 3D renderings for competition entries or interviews for work. But I agree, typically it is a client driven request. In either case, they are generally for marketing purposes rather than design tools.

Oct 29, 08 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

For most of the larger projects we have been involved with, our clients have needed photoreal renderings and animations. In my experience this helps them 'sell' these projects very efficiently.
It depends on the scale - for smaller projects, i think one can get away with no computer renders, but for the larger ones, they are a necessity these days.

Oct 29, 08 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
Vayersoft

Photorealistic 3D is comparably expensive, but if it was not, I think many of the designers and architects would use it during design process also.
Some projects still have a budget to afford showing many of design options to a client.

Oct 30, 08 5:11 am  · 
 · 
Deidra

Indeed, is it often when you need to show a few options to the client so that he was able to choose?

Oct 30, 08 5:56 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Photoreal is mostly for the final marketing pieces, it is just too time consuming to use for the entire process. However, many clients need to see material samples to choose what brick color or accent color (and are shocked at how things really look!).

Oct 30, 08 8:45 am  · 
 · 
4arch

"photo-realistic renderings" - no such thing.

Oct 30, 08 9:51 am  · 
 · 
Deidra

What's better then, if we talk about pre-construction marketing....???

Oct 30, 08 9:54 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Photoreal is what sells, the public does not want to see some architect's abstract interpretation of the building.

While artistic renderings look great for art's sake, they don't do much to help the client sell the building.

Oct 30, 08 10:39 am  · 
 · 
Deidra

Have you ever faced the issue of lighting? Like... you may have a look at the lighting effect modeled by V-ray in photorealistic renderings...

Nov 6, 08 4:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: