Archinect
anchor

Help the City of Austin pick the designer for the new Central Library!

tagalong

Upon attending the presentations by the three design teams at the Austin City Council meeting last Friday I learned that the city council (not one of whom are trained as designers) are seeking imput and advice on who they should pick to design the New Austin Central Library.

You can go to the following site and view the PDF's and leave your comments, which the city council will review before making a decision.

http://www.austinlibrary.com/newaceproposalform.cfm

link

This will be a very important project for the city with a fantastic site location.

The three teams are:

1. Patkau w/ Page Southerland Page
2. Lake Flato w/ Shepley Bulfinch
3. Holzman Moss w/ Barnes Gromatzky Kosrek Architects & Taniguchi (this is NOT the Taniguchi who designed MOMA)

I did not put those in any particular order but in my mind only two of the teams are worth considering.

I personally don't want to see it mucked up by them choosing the wrong firm based soley on pie charts and graphs.

Thanks for your help.

Oct 27, 08 3:49 pm
holz.box

1. lake flato
2. patkau

holzman moss looks really bad next to those two. epic fail.

i was leaning patkau after looking at the three, but the questioning put forth by lake/flato got to me. i think lake flato can hold their own against patkau.

Oct 27, 08 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

Patkau w/ Page Southerland Page

my decision is based on previous work.

Those presentations look pretty dry to me, wouldn't a competition be more suitable and get more interest from the residents?

Oct 27, 08 7:14 pm  · 
 · 

based on proposal i'd say lake/flato, but i also gave high praise for patkau despite a proposal that left me cold.

couldn't find anything to latch onto with the holzman moss proposal, though the work is good.

Oct 27, 08 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Lake/Flato definitely knows the context, and their proposal is beautiful. They are a strong pick.

Patkau also does beautiful work, but their proposal felt less personal.

Either one will do a smashing building, I am sure. For sentimental reasons, though, I'd love for L/F to get it.

Oct 27, 08 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

lb are you just a little drunk?

Oct 27, 08 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Am I slurring my posts?

Oct 27, 08 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
kyleseyz

I'm with lb, I feel like Patkau was solely advertising their vast bank of experience... Even though I think Patkau would do a fantastic building, L/F's presentation had a lot of heart.

Oct 27, 08 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
seamless linkage to the natural realm

what if there were quiet garden rooms?

what if the central library became both outdoor living room and great civic porch?

the courtyard became the lobby and the lobby became the fabric of the place

etc, etc.

these sound diluted and tired.

Oct 28, 08 1:21 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

dammson, I think those ideas, especially expressed as questions, might sound a bit trite to *us*, but if the presentation was to regular people (not architects) who will be using the library this might be the first time they have ever heard architecture spoken of on these terms, and I'll bet they like it. It's just fanciful/poetic/dreamy enough, without being pretentious.

Example: I just told a painter, a college-educated guy who hates desk jobs and has made a nice business for himself as a house painter, that I didn't want to paint the aluminum storm windows because "I'm all about honest expression of materials" and he replied that he'd never heard it put that way and could he borrow the phrase?

Oct 28, 08 7:04 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

I just spent an entire lunch hour browsing each proposal and if I were the City of Austin I'd be looking at sending out a new RFP. Nobody stood out as a clear leader.

Oct 28, 08 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

yeah... Aqua im with you... i dont mean to be disrespectful to any of these offices but the presentations submitted there were really, really bad...
The Patkau Architects submission was the most interesting project by a long shot imo, but the presentations were all childish, and clearly done in haste... im a bit surprised to be honest... there were better presentations in my 1st year studios...

I understand LB's point about speaking in every mans terms, but those power point presentations looked like something youd see from a time share presenter, not an architect...

just my thoughts on the matter... hope Patkau gets it, cause i really like the approach they have... they are at least attempting to create and interesting civic district (though i believe the notion that one can create that with new construction is 100% flawed).

Oct 28, 08 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
T D

seems to me Patkau actually had the least amount of useful information in terms of actually getting the project completed and the most amount of glossy images. anybody can find that stock photography on their website.

don't be so easily fooled by pretty pictures.

Oct 28, 08 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: