Archinect
anchor

owning: XSI MAYA MAX Ecotect

Antisthenes

and the goal of this is?

Autodesk Signs Agreement with Avid Technology to Acquire Softimage

Oct 23, 08 7:35 pm
rehiggins

Owning every program that runs Mental Ray in order to position themselves to buy NVIDIA

Oct 23, 08 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

mmmhhhh well dont believe everything what you read but it says right there:

Acquisition to Accelerate Autodesk’s Games Strategy; Complements Digital Entertainment and Visual Communications Offering; Lets Artists Choose their Passion

at the end they might come up with a SUITE for 3d modelling, just like ADOBE's creative suite.... i dunno....

Oct 23, 08 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

we architects have been feeding autodesk so well that he can buy up the world...

time for us to tell him cut price for such a dumb program.

Oct 24, 08 12:51 am  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Since Autodesk bought Ecotect the price for a license has risen four times + the original price.

Autodesk is taking over the world.....

I just hope they never go knocking at Anti's door......at the Mcneel Office

Oct 24, 08 2:31 am  · 
 · 
aspect

this is a great example of Gresham's law-

bad money drives out good.

Oct 24, 08 10:26 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

worker owned is the key. the power of organized labor and a educated community who will not accept conformity to a monopolies dictates, who ever they be

Oct 24, 08 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

i had never paid for any license of autodesk ;) (yeah come and get me, if you can)

Oct 24, 08 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

Autodesk wouldn't be so bad if they fostered a creative environment that drove innovation, but they seem to just buy good intellectual property and let it stagnate. They don't even allow their software to run on other platforms. They're just as bad as Microsoft.

Oct 24, 08 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

They do let things stagnate. 3D Studio hasn't improved since v. 8. Last one I bought was 9 (yes, I pay for my licenses).

We'll see. I question their long term goals.

Let's not forget, though, that Adobe has a monopoly far greater than Autodesk. Once they bought Macromedia they owned the digital content creation software arena.

But they are making some nice improvements and their package deals are pretty sweet bargains (not cheap, but I'd take 7 new upgrades for $2k over one lame update of max for a similar price).

"Don't allow their software to run on other platforms..." is a little off. Max has never run on Macs, no reason to rewrite it so it does.

Maya does run on Unix based systems.

I do hope they make the programs highly specialized and offer different versions of each.

Please kill Mental Ray, though, or at least let it be an option.

Oct 25, 08 9:26 am  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

Well as long as they keep Maya on OS X (and finally make it 64 bit and enable the use of advanced multicore processing), i'm not really bothered with Max but they could release Autocad, Revit and Ecotect for OS X.

I remember when Alias first released Maya for OS X, 40% of their total sales came from Mac users. With Rhino coming to the Mac too it gives consumers more choices. I'm not against windows but I do think people should use what they like... Adobe is the kind of monopoly I like (for the moment at least).

Oct 27, 08 6:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: