Archinect
anchor

Energy Modeling

difficultfix

I am currently working for a green building consultancy in San Diego. I am getting an opportunity to learn how to use Ecotect, and IES Virtual Environment. Was wondering if there are any other people here on archinect who use it? and if so what are your thoughts on it. Or do you or your team hire outside consultants....?

Ecotect seems to be a really cool software which we (at my place of employment) use for daylighting analysis with radiance. The only problem I have with it is importing gemometry from outside software (Rhino, Revit, Sketchup) which seems to come in too clumsy with too many triangulated surfaces, which is a real pain. Are any of you out there familiar with plugins or some type of translators that could be used for importing gemoetry.I can model on Ecotect but the modeling interface on Ecotect seems to be a very week for modeling an too time consuming.

Thoughts?

Oct 16, 08 1:39 am
gold spot

IES VE seems to work nicely with Sketch Up.

Oct 16, 08 5:07 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

I have had this Meshing problem also..making an stl form Revit. There is a setting in Rhino to reduce the triangulation , but that doesn't realy help does it. Also in Revit when you export try acsii solids vs those polymesh settings.

gold spot is right though/..SU is good for that exporting stuff.

Oct 16, 08 9:03 am  · 
 · 
noci

you could move the NURBS surface model as an IGES file to Maya and tesselate it there, much more detailed control than in Rhino.

Oct 16, 08 9:39 am  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Yeah originally we were using Revit to IES, but found that sketchup works alot better. Revit models have too much information for IES. Revit works well for simple buildings but onve the building becomes more complex IES struggles. We recently have started using Sketchup to IES. It crashes here and there but overall works alot better.

In regards to Ecotect, I have tried reducing the polygon meshes..but still like ff33º said "that doesn't realy help". Revit seems to be just as difficult. So I have started modling in Ecotect...But it gets rather difficult at times. I am looking around hoping someone has found a successful way of importing...

Oct 16, 08 10:44 am  · 
 · 
mces

better model your building in ecotect.

for solar study only, you could import from sketch-up or any other program and try reducing polygon meshes.

For daylight, better you make model in ecotect. If you import from other programs, you will not only have a problem with polygon meshes but also you most likely will get strange/incorrect daylight result once you run the simulation.

just my 2 cents

Oct 16, 08 11:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: