has images of all ten finalists.

Oct 14, 08 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
anonnyc10003

Thanks

Oct 15, 08 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
grid

what's the point of the winner's green wall?

Oct 15, 08 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
aking

Did you read the boards? The base serves as some sort of exercise facility for lazy strip mall Americans. The rest is some eco deal that generates energy and cleans the air. Their premise is that strip malls are what they are. No improving them except by adding this green wall element that connects only to strip malls by shading parking lots (as diagrammed).

Oct 15, 08 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

I like the winner a lot as a design but the whole competition premise is stupid. The bar building 1, 2 story strip mall is what it is, purely driven by accessibility and visibilty and the cheapest construction possible.

Oct 16, 08 2:22 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

what are your thoughts on this, greenlander?

Oct 16, 08 2:33 am  · 
 · 
mdler

green is bullshit

Oct 17, 08 10:41 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I feel like there should a button we push that automatically posts this query:

holz.box, what is that?

Oct 17, 08 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

Akihisa Hirata's sarugaku in a tokyo back alley

Oct 17, 08 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

That Tokyo project looks great, but Tokyo is a lot more dense than say yr typical strip mall area like in L.A. or Vegas. Its a totally diff problem.

I'd like to know how general access is. I reckon people just pop out of a subway stop and walk there. V different than a strip mall where the ppl driving by need to make a 1 sec decision whether to come in or not.

Anyhow the more I look at these modifications of strip mall contests I just cringe. They ignore the fact that the real issues are inflexible zoning/ occupancy. And obviously the financial feasibility issue.

Oct 26, 08 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

And Im not talking about the contestants here, its the organizers.

Oct 26, 08 7:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: