Archinect
anchor

Office Atmosphere

dreamingtree9

I work for an architecture/engineering firm, that has two offices.
We seem to deal with a lot of office politics between the two offices. There is an "us" vs. "them" attitude.
Projects are spread out through both offices, more often than not having the disciplines for the project come from each office, i.e. architecture out of this office, mechanical and structural out of the other.

I'm looking to find out how other companies, that have several offices, make it work, or don't they?
Is this attitude common?

Sep 29, 04 9:16 am
mauOne™

i recommend ADOBE Atmosphere :op

Sep 29, 04 9:43 am  · 
 · 
danimal

i'm in a small enough firm that one would think we could get everyone to work together... doing architecture and exhibitry... not the case. instead, i've witnessed attempts to get INTERNAL sign-offs on the direction of the project, and an US v. THEM attitude that has deteriorated the lines of communication to the point that e-mail has nearly become the sole means...

Sep 29, 04 10:30 am  · 
 · 
J3

Having worked for several multi-office companies, I have have seen both ends of the spectrum. My previous employer had this same problem between the offices, specially with the NYC office pretending that they were the design center for the company. What did the company do? nothing, but I am not there any more...
My new employer has several large projects which are being worked on by several offices and there is a simple solution to the problem. 1 leader, every one else listens...actually it's not dictatorial, but there is clear structure to the team and everyone knows what their role is. Each office is it's own profit center and carries it's own projects, in the case there is a shared project (s) there is a lead office and the other is just a consultant to the other.

Oct 3, 04 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

Oct 13, 04 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

thanks to alphanumerica i can now post images.

Oct 13, 04 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: