Archinect
anchor

Working for family and friends

bowling_ball

This being the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, I was visiting my family today. They are renovating their cottage. It's a pretty decent flat-roofed thing with tons of windows and open space. A good platform on which to start, for sure.

As my mom was discussing her plans with her friend, I asked why I, as a designer and graduate architecture student, haven't been asked. Surely I might have something to offer, even if they don't listen. My mother told me, to my face, that "you don't have a say."

Damn.

So then her friend expresses her interest in having me (very hypothetically) design a home for an empty lot she owns nearby. Except, of course, she wants it to be "old-time Floridian." Besides not knowing what that means, we're in freaking Ontario!!!

Arrrrghhh. Sometimes you just can't win.

Happy thanksgiving to all my Canadian homies, and Columbus Day to my 'Murican friends, too.

Oct 13, 08 8:21 pm
binary

i work for cash
i help for free

Oct 13, 08 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I've been a registered architect for 18 years, working in the field for 22. I have a bachelor's, a master's, and a PhD.

It wouldn't occur to my dad to ask me a question about the house, design, or construction any more than to ask me about nuclear fission.

Recently...

I: "Uh, Dad, you may want to see about getting a permit for that 300 square foot 'shed' your contractor is adding to the back of the house. Oh, and for that retaining wall you're planning to build next month."

Dad: "Well, this guy's been doing these things up here for a long time, and he says you don't need a permit for this."

I: "Okay. How's mom?"

Oct 13, 08 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
twee

citizen- i JUST had the same type of conversation with my mom the other day.

big ups for HGTV

Oct 14, 08 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I love and respect the hell out of my big sister, but she built a big new house (twice, actually, since the first one was burned down by an arsonist) and is currently building a freestanding medical office building and has asked me to "look over the drawings" but no more.

Honestly, it's for the best. I wouldn't want to do the Spanish Colonial style she's interested in, and I can guarantee it would, despite us both being 40-something successful professionals, devolve into the kind of fights we used to have over Barbies.

citizen, you've got it right. Offer helpful suggestions, then let it drop.

Oct 14, 08 1:11 pm  · 
 · 

I'm designing a 2000 sf starter house for a old high school friend, its been a challenge but I've tried to be honest. Interesting I was the only one he contacted for the project, and other schoolmates are lining up to have theirs done as well. Worries and excites me

Oct 14, 08 2:14 pm  · 
 · 

me- "mother, i liked the way you put 3 couches in the living room so there is more than one for each of us to be a potato."

mom- "get some rest."

Oct 14, 08 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
rutger

My experience is very positive actually. I build a house for my aunt and uncle in Groningen (NL). Because we know each other quite well it was easy to be open and frank for both parties which enabled us to have a 'deep' design process.
Maybe I was lucky that they have a contemporary taste...

some images:

more:
my website
1NTT
flickr
flickr2 (their site)

Oct 14, 08 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

[finger quote] "Arsonist" [finger quote], huh, LB?

hmmmmmmmmmmmm, LOL

Oh, and that image of the argument between adult siblings that quickly devolves from ideals and philosophy to barbies and playdough got me laughing, too.

Oct 14, 08 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yes! A real "eco" arsonist!

Oct 14, 08 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Wow.

Howard Roark would never wuss out like that....

Oct 14, 08 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I have a older brother who is a concrete contractor. He always dismissed me, years ago and what I do thinking I was just working on small residential projects. So one winter he decides he might flap his wings and get out of cold Wyoming. I was working in Arizona at the time so he figured, what the hell he would give me a visit and see if he could pick up some concrete work. Turned out the visit was a short one, cause he didn't see any real financial gain in Arizona and California had a bigger calling. Anyhow it wasn't until i showed him the working drawings for a 40,000 sf Executive office building did he actually grasp at what the heck I did everyday. After that
he has had a better feeling for what I do. I know what he does because I spent more than one summer setting concrete forms, humping concrete, bull floating slabs, running a trowel, setting up the lights for night time work....you know doing what ever it takes and keeping my mouth shut. I hope i do get an opportunity to do a radical concrete house with him. I don't know it that time will ever come but one thing I'm sure of is he could make every drawn detail shine. "oh by the way"....I always tell people he was born one hundred years to late....cause he is a true cowboy at heart.

Oct 14, 08 6:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: