Archinect
anchor

Is there any architecture in Montreal?

finnisoestela

Our class is going to Montreal on Thursday, coming back Sunday and our professor seems a bit scatterbrained. He really hasn’t said much about the agenda but our class has gotten a hold of a small book called “A Guidebook to Contemporary Architecture in Montreal”. And, to be quite honest, the architecture seems really boring. I have a feeling our professor is just going to wing this one and I prefer to make the most use of our time seeing that this trip is quite expensive from a student’s point of view. Does anyone know of some absolute must see architectural works in Montreal?

Oct 13, 08 4:33 pm
finnisoestela

I forgot to mention that we'll be staying in the center of downtown.

Oct 13, 08 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

you should go check out the School Campus for the Cirque du Soleil.
There is on particular building where they have the high wires which you can watch students practicing at night thru the glass curtain wall.
It is a nice visual.

Oct 13, 08 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

you should go to the CCA to start with.

this was a [http://www.cca.qc.ca/pages/Niveau2.asp?page=survol&lang=eng]centre[/url] created by the lady who commissioned mies to do great things, all those years ago in New York (seagram building, etc) - you know, phyllis lambert.

right now they have a good exhibition by ryue nishizawa (of SANAA fame)

as for architecture, i will only point out the safdie project for expo 67. if you can't find any other stuff that interests you then you maybe shouldn't go to montreal cuz its an amazing city with some world class work. cool if not for you, but what do you want?

i live in tokyo and i am still impressed by some of the stuff in montreal. it is just, frankly, one of the best cities in canada (yes i am canadian , so am biased).

Oct 13, 08 7:59 pm  · 
 · 

damn.

the centre is here

Oct 13, 08 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Montreal typically has prettier women than buildings frankly. The Habitat 67 site and the olympic stadium are the only two major works that come to mind.

Despite the lack of eye-popping architecture, it is one damn fine city to
hang out in, and i'd live there if it wasn't so FUCKING GODDAMN COLD!!

Oct 13, 08 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

considering montreal is over 300 years old there's prolly something to see...there's also Decline and Barbarians...

Oct 13, 08 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
induct

no, only Helsinki

Oct 13, 08 9:16 pm  · 
 · 

eye-popping architecure is not always worth seeing.

a trip down omotesando dori would cure anyone of that notion. montreal is just a great city. worth going for the vibe alone in my opinion.

but you know, just call up CCA and ask them where to go. am sure they can point out the good stuff based on your own biases about what is cool and what is shit. and if they have nothing that turns your crank then don't go.

beats me why architects aren't able to visit "cities" and always have to see "architecture", though....

must be our education. we can't see the forest for the trees.

Oct 14, 08 6:51 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

uhh...welcome to montreal...

Oct 14, 08 8:53 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

If your hankering a Pastrami sandwhich you have to go to "Swartz's"
It is a hole in the wall with the line out the door you can't miss the place in is over near McGill. Some Canadian might be able to give you better directions. Oh ya and there are usually good looking women hanging out.

Oct 14, 08 11:27 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

oh ya....the other fast food is French Fries and Brown Gravy....it is a staple food. You can find variations of it all over the place. There is alot of ethnic food to be had for the venturous. So eat and enjoy!

Oct 14, 08 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Poutine snook?

Smoked meats + poutine = yum

Oct 14, 08 11:41 am  · 
 · 
whistler

Anything by Dan Hangunau ( sp ) done lots of great work ( museums / gallery's etc. )in the downtown core, he's a bit of a regional starchitect.

Oct 14, 08 11:45 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

poutine....that is the stuff!

Oct 14, 08 11:46 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Seconding the CCA, absolutely magic.

There are a couple of gallery complexes that were interesting

Probably some stuff on the McGill campus

Expo 67 site - yes

The olympic stadium is a mess

The residential on Mont-Royal is very worth seeing. Lots of high-end housing set on the steep hillside facing the city. Drive or walk.

A skyscraper reportedly built to plans of Malevich (the nice greeny-blue one)

Old town is (full of tourist) crap, particularly if you have seen Europe.

I don't know if links to flickr work:
The CBD

Oct 15, 08 6:53 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch
Oct 15, 08 6:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: