Archinect
anchor

CA's anti-sprawl/GHG law

treekiller

California has just passed a radical new law that deals with climate change by attacking the lifestyle of sprawl. SB375 is innovative by linking transportation planning to land use to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by curbing urban sprawl and cutting back the time people have to spend in their automobiles via air quality regulations & enforcement.

(coverage nytimes, LAtimes, & if you don't want to read, the[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iH-HVdyGmA]video[/url] of the press conference about the bill).

So coupled with LA's Small Lots 1 & 2, what are the implications on the built environment?

How will this change the practicing of architecture and urban design in California?

Oct 7, 08 2:13 pm
treekiller

opps,
video

Oct 7, 08 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

LA's politicians need to grow some balls 1st...

Oct 7, 08 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

.. and cut out-of-control spending

Oct 7, 08 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

"How will this change the practicing of architecture and urban design in California? "

I'm hoping it will at all. San Diego, at least, needs this change.

Nov 3, 08 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
The CA Builder/Developer

As a Southern Cal builder/developer type person I am counting on, I should say, already highlighting this new SB 375 into my City & County planning department submittal process when and where applicable.

Case in point - two weeks back I submitted for a high density (47 du/acre) Sr. Housing development into the City of San Bernardino planning requesting a General Plan amendment for a zoning change from medium to high density. I am basing the request on the weight of the new SB 375 as this particular site has the elements of smart land use development located in close proximity to the downtown hub.

I am keenly interested in my meeting next week with the city planners and getting their feedback on our request.

It will be interesting just how much this new bill will truly impact city and county decisions and growth.

Don

Nov 4, 08 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Don-
welcome to archinect. good luck with your submittal.

Nov 4, 08 6:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: