Archinect
anchor

help going from illustrator to acrobat for slide presentaiton

xacto

Hey...this explanation may get a little complicated, but any help would be appreciated.

So the deal is this: I'm making a PowerPoint presentation in which I've composed my boards in illustrator. The boards consist of a small neighborhood with blocks and building footprints.

In illustrator, fine lineweights show up at the right scale, but when I open my slide in acrobat, the lineweights look much heavier. When I zoom-in to a detail in acrobat, the lineweights look right, but when the frame is set to fit-in-window, the lineweights get much heavier. is there a setting to control the display? Is it something I have to do in illustrator? I've printed the board out, and the lineweights look right printed, so I know it is something to do with the way acrobat is displaying my images.

the best solution I have found, which I don't really like, is exporting my illustrator board as a jpeg and then opening the jpeg in photoshop and saving it as a pdf. the file is kinda big, so quality is lost in the processes of exporting it.

is there a better way to go about doing this/fixing the display problem?

Thanks for the help.

Oct 5, 08 11:59 pm

insert each 'board' as a page in InDesign. Export as PDF. The End.

Oct 6, 08 1:39 am  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

You could try changing the "page display" under preferences in Acrobat Reader to make sure the resolution matches your monitor. There are some other settings there that might help as well.

Of course you can not display a line finer than the size of a single screen pixel, so the photoshop work around may be the best you can do since it will show the finer lines as gray to visually simulate the finer line weight.

Oct 6, 08 1:40 am  · 
 · 
blah

PDFs rule the day!

You can do the presentation in Acrobat Reader just like a powerpoint one.

Oct 6, 08 1:42 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

if you're in OSX, just print to pdf from illustrator. If you're on a windows machine, download cutepdf, and do the same thing.

Oct 6, 08 3:34 am  · 
 · 
db

why do you need powerpoint at all? just create a multi-page pdf and use acrobat for your presentation.

Oct 6, 08 7:41 am  · 
 · 
xacto

sorry...im not using powerpoint...im using acrobat...im saying the lineweights do not show up correctly in acrobat...

rationalist, do when you say insert, specifically, what do you mean. do i place each ai file into indesign? or do i save each illustrator board as a pdf and then insert them that way? thanks.

Oct 6, 08 7:47 am  · 
 · 
xacto

okay...so i think ive got it figured out, but it is a very annoying process...

(rationalist, placing pdfs in indesign, exporting pdf, gave me the same problem)

1.save .ai as .pdf in illustrator
2.place .pdfs in indesign
3.export indesign as high quality jpegs
4.open each jpeg and save as pdf
5.insert pdfs into one document.

a pain in the ass, but gets rid of acrobat trying to render my ai lineweights as vectors and making detailed drawings look like a mess. i hope my struggles will help someone one day...

Oct 6, 08 8:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: