Archinect
anchor

What to expect in a full time employment contract?

ArchNyen

Hello all, so heres a short summery of the situation.  I have been hired at a development firm as a Revit Drafter on a 30 day evaluation / trial period to see if they want to keep me longer as a permanent / full time employee.  The 30 is coming near and I can say I have done well there and believe they are considering me as a full time employee.

My questions are: what are the pro's vs con's with hourly compare to contract.  And if they do write up a contract, what am I to expect written in the contract?

My first serious job after an M. Arch study.  Any feedback and information will be greatly appreciated, thnx....

Sep 1, 13 7:37 pm
gruen
Ummm... Either you are an employee, or you are a contractor. Which is it? I've never had a 'contract' when I was an employee, but if you are to be a contractor, then you set the rules because you are actually self employed. The short answer to your question is that you need to ask for more money if you are a contractor.
Sep 1, 13 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

It's not uncommon for development firms to ask "full-time permanent employees" to sign an employment contract - I always had one when working for development firms.

It's not generally a big deal. Mine always spelled out my title, my duties, performance expectations, base pay, benefits and approach to incentive compensation (if any). It's actually quite nice to have all that stuff clearly defined in writing before you accept the job.

I would not get too up tight about this - just be sure to read it carefully, ask for clarification on points you don't understand and try to negotiate better terms on aspects that don't seem appropriate.

Good luck.

Sep 1, 13 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

very cool, thanks

Sep 2, 13 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Every job I've had came with an "Offer letter + Contract," a very standard practice. Congrats on the position. Having expectations and limits of your responsibility is something I wish all firms clearly stated. 

Sep 2, 13 2:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: