Archinect
anchor

Interesting Watches (Brands...)

dillup.

Have to design a retail space for watches... am trying to make it somehow interesting, does anyone know some good brands, links to check out to get me started?

thanks.

Sep 28, 04 11:19 am
duke19_98

I'm not sure what the brand is, but there is a hip new watch with a vintage tie used for the band. I'm preferential towards the two Swiss Army Watches Victorinox and Wenger. I currently have a titanium Wenger but tend to like the Vicotorinox better.

Sep 28, 04 11:27 am  · 
 · 
3west

maker of timepieces for the old italian navy
www.panerai.com

Sep 28, 04 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
rtdc

Bai makes some really nice watches. I don't think they have a website though.

I think FOG designed some watches too, but I remember not liking them too much.

Sep 28, 04 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

The FOG watches were for fossil, and I agree, they weren't very interesting.

Vestal makes some interesting watches.

Marc Newson also makes some pretty badass timepieces.

Sep 28, 04 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
http://www.westimewatches.com/richmille.html

the best damn looking watch i have seen...hands down

Sep 28, 04 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

tee rifik spot and parts

[url+http://archinect.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=search&type=full&search=tschumi+Vacheron]nice watch building[/url]

Sep 28, 04 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

ooopppppsss nice watch building

Sep 28, 04 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
TickerTocker

the phillipe starck watch for fossil, designed in 2001, is also really cool. the 2004 model is very great, though...

Sep 29, 04 1:16 am  · 
 · 
MiesvanderRice
http://www.projects-us.com/

Is a company that has done quite a few lines of products designed by marquee name architects. The stealth cookie jar by antoine predock is probably one of the cooler objects I've seen in a while. Their main focus these days seems to be watches, and they have some good ones. I own the "high museum watch" by meier, and it's held up pretty well.

Sep 29, 04 4:14 am  · 
 · 
e909

circular based motion
http://www.juggling.org/books/lasso/HTML/chap2.html

Sep 29, 04 5:52 am  · 
 · 
doberman

3west: panerai: badass but SO expensive
marc newson's brand IKEPOD is also quite cool, bell & ross do some kickass watchs too, what about a good old rollex submariner date with black dial, that design is timeless... but very pricey too...

Sep 29, 04 9:56 am  · 
 · 
archiTEKE

bulova

Sep 29, 04 9:58 am  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

Beta,

Richard Mille watches. . . unbelievable! But they are around 150K each.

Sep 29, 04 10:05 am  · 
 · 
sahar
This

watch designed by Michael Young is really nice. I can't wait until it gets released. I can't read Chinese, but I don't think it is for sale at the moment.

Sep 29, 04 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
mm

I find the new "architect-designed" watches silly. The architects typically only design the face of the watch, or at most, the case. In my mind that's like calling the house painter the designer of the building.

The design of the watch is more than just the typeface of the numbers and the shape of the hands. I would argue that the mechanics of the watch are more important.

I appreciate the craftsmanship that went into designing and assembling an older automatic timepiece much more than a starchitect's signature on the face of a plastic quartz watch.

Sep 29, 04 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

bell & ross

Sep 29, 04 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I am partial to my Tag, but the Bertolucci Uomos are really nice, too.
http://www.tagheuer.com/watches/detail.lbl?watch=CL1110.BA0700&search=s:5;F:0;T:0;C:s;
http://www.bertolucci-watches.com/s_uomo.htm

They look much better in person, trust me.
I agree with mm, I appreciate a watch that I know I'll still like and use ten years from now. There's just something nice about a watch machined out of a solid piece of stainless steel (that's the tag).
As always, you get what you pay for.

Sep 29, 04 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Omega or Nixon-

Sep 29, 04 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

IMO, Skagen = shit

Sep 29, 04 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
aldorossi

I've always loved Skagen's thin cases, although they tend not be very durable (don't bump them into a cmu wall on a site visit). I just bought one with a black face and a stainless steel mesh band. Just my minimalist bent I guess.

Sep 29, 04 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I like Skagen's design, but had one more or less corrode from wear. I thought that they were all stainless, but my watch appeared to have a thin stainless electroplated coating over some other type of metal

Sep 29, 04 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
aldorossi

Just to change the subject for a moment, could someone explain the hostility, exhibited most recently in response to my post. Just an opinion dude, lighten the fuck up. There seems to be a percentage of "folks" who post herein who have serious attitude problems. "Shit" is not a response I would expect from someone who (presumably) spent 4-5 years min. on an expensive university education learning (among other things) how how to express oneself in an articulate and concise manner, particulary regarding design.

My father drove a beer truck all his life, he could pull off the salty lanquage. Architects tend to sound like major tools when they swear, and that includes me.

Oh, and I am familar with Bell & Ross: a friend bought a "Space 2". There was a design flaw: the way in which the bracelet was attached to the case caused the edge of the recess in the case to scaratch the the first link in the band. It came out of the box that way (scratched), and there is no way to flex the joint with out the scratching. Apparently, the watches are manufactured by SINN, a German company: B&R relabel the faces (btw, the exact same watches are avaible from SINN at better prices, and when you send it back for servicing they end up at the SINN factory anyway). I guess you buy the B&R version because they're labeled B&R (?) The thing was 1/2" thick, which looks really silly on those of us with thin wrists. And of course I am always in need of the pulsometric and tachymetric functions. I also liked the fact that were 5 different typefaces used on the face. For a bit of high mannered dee-sign bling, I found the self scratching device really clever.

My Skagen watches have always told perfect time and I hardly notice I'm wearing them. OK, when I went down in the diving bell, the tachy function might have prevented my case of the bends. But I do know how architects love to make sure everyone knows how tasteful and stylish they are, and nothing does does that like a big fat expensive watch.

im(h)o

(See, I didn't use the word "shit" once)

Sep 29, 04 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

just for the record aldo, the shit comment came before your comment...but your point is well fucking taken - just kidding.

Sep 29, 04 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
MiesvanderRice

mm-

oh what an insufferable purist! I bend down to your unwavering dedication to the pure expression of craft and perfection in mechanical form! Preen me in your picky patronage, I yearn to be a discerning disciple!

Honestly, it's a watch, not a house, or a car. It doesn't really matter what the hell goes on inside the thing, as long as it tells the time correctly, which they do. Ain't plastic either.

Oct 3, 04 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
mm

Mies,

Yes, it is just a watch.

But at the same time, most of America seems to believe that it's "just a house," a sentiment that frustrates most architects.

- mm

Oct 4, 04 9:44 am  · 
 · 
aml

i don't wear a watch. there are watches everywhere these days- cell phones, computers, etc. most minimalist statement ever. besides, feel watches work as status signs, even if you really just care about the design the price tag usually precedes it.

know this is off topic, but had to say it because since i stopped wearing a watch i tend to be much more punctual. go figure.

Oct 4, 04 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

i can't wear a watch - something about internal magnatism (sounds like bullshit but its true) I keep knocking out the batteries. I've tied a few self winding, self powered and solar - but those managed to be destroyed some other way. The thing is I'm never late, like aml said the find the time is not difficult - they say usually you can time within 200 degrees and 15 feet of where you are.

Oct 5, 04 8:48 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

my girlfriend wants to buy me a watch. i liked this one. is this watch any good quality? or should i pass.
please let me know, before i opt for weed.

Oct 27, 04 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

here are the
specs

Oct 27, 04 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

it's been 0.5 hour. no feedback from anybody.
fuck starck, too. i've made my mind.

Oct 27, 04 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
gustav

I wonder if the curved braclet of the face may not fit all people or is there a hinge? Otherwise looks good, may get one myself.

Oct 28, 04 6:56 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

i am reviving this thread, because i now am looking for a wristwatch.

something clever.

not more than 200.

available via internet.

any other suggestions?

Nov 16, 04 2:50 am  · 
 · 
Josh Russell
very simple and elegant watch

(i'm assuming you're a woman; sorry if i'm wrong)

Nov 16, 04 3:33 am  · 
 · 
epple

abracadabra-
the fossil watch by starck is a great watch i've had one for the past year and people still oooh and aaaah over it. only problem i've found is that its quite chunky and my screen has a few nasty scratches on it. still looks beautiful though.

also check out
http://www.tokyoflash.com/viewwatch.php?id=32&from=W2
for some interesting watches

Nov 16, 04 4:44 am  · 
 · 
.ml

wow ! i really like the last one. Do you have it? What is your impresion about? THANKS

Nov 16, 04 6:18 am  · 
 · 

The Ducti tapebomb...
www.ducti.com

Nov 16, 04 8:13 am  · 
 · 
A
Nov 16, 04 8:26 am  · 
 · 
Minimal Animal

chase-durer

Nov 16, 04 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i think i am going to get the nooka
i just am having a hard time deciding which one.

Nov 16, 04 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
NIXON...

The Insider

for a night on the town.

+

The Delta for a day in the air.

+

The Lodown for a day in the water.

Nov 18, 04 4:31 am  · 
 · 
archaalto

Not under $200, but the best watches in the world.

http://www.iwc.ch/index-en.asp

Dec 9, 04 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
archaalto

Sorry...

link

Dec 9, 04 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

out of all the watches i think nooka is the one i like.
thanks to stephanie.
somethings i just don't trust in fossil/starck designs. i would be to upset to see $5 better knockout of starck watch.
my only concern though, will i get sued if my stainles steel nooka shines too much light and raises the heat in surrounding conversations..?

Dec 12, 04 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
mmm3
http://store.dieseltimeframes.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2126&itemType=CATEGORY

Diesel

makes some fat watches

Dec 12, 04 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

for my money, the 'all black collection by nixon is vital to any real starchitect's wardrobe.

http://www.nixonnow.com/za/NNS?PAGE=STORE_GROUP_FREE_DISPLAY&PGROUP.ID=31&MENU_ID=99

pay no mind to the terrible luxury collection, nobody's perfect

Dec 12, 04 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
Jiminie

if you're ghetto or fat joe:
jacob & co watch and matching bape-sta sneakers

Dec 13, 04 3:38 am  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

swatch boutiques in nyc. pfau architecture made a temp expo in europe for them too. sweet shit - should chex it out.

Dec 13, 04 4:31 am  · 
 · 
sure2016

Ive ordered these. A pair for 14$. Score.

http://www.unicahome.com/catalog/item.asp?id=15770

Dec 13, 04 11:11 am  · 
 · 
THE SUPERMARKET

OHHH come on!
its all about

SWATCH

i was down in vegas and went to
the store.
there wasn't anything worth buying.
boo.

but i cant forget my roots.
-n0010

Dec 13, 04 1:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: