Archinect
anchor

Handrail that dies into curtain wall

dirtyd0369

So we designed this floating walkway on the second floor of an atrium space with a door that leads to an balcony. The walkway has guardrails on both sides perpendicular to the exterior wall, which is a curtain wall. What happens is that the guardrail stops short of the curtain wall by an inch and half which would be fine, but the curtain wall is outside glazed so at 6-1/2" to 1-1/2" and we now have an 8" gap which is a no no... anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sep 29, 08 12:58 pm
liberty bell

Can you post pictures, or is that not allowed? Is the guardrail installed or fabricated yet?

Sep 29, 08 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
binary

need pics....

Sep 29, 08 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
waterhouse

sounds like it's already been installed (but I'm guessing because you didn't say that)

otherwise you could ask your fabricator to continue the extrusion a few inches past the floor post towards the curtain wall

talk to your code consultant - maybe a simple cane rail at the floor would be an adequate fix

otherwise, you may have to extend the rail after the fact

Sep 29, 08 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

separate freestanding guard coming up from the floor of the walkway perpendicular to the curtain wall?

Sep 29, 08 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
dirtyd0369

it has not been built, but i like the idea of a separate freestanding guard because the rail is a pre-manufactured thing and I need a custonm piece. This is from the shop drawing, it is hard to tell, but that is curtain wall in section between the two guardrails.

Sep 29, 08 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
waterhouse

Are you still in the process of reviewing these drawings? If so, then show the manufacturer how you'd like a modification or an additional piece to satisfy code.

Sep 29, 08 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
dirtyd0369

the manufacturer can make custom pieces, but the lead time for this manufacturer is very long. I think a metal fabrication piece that comes off of the floor might be the best solution...

Sep 29, 08 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
blah

4" sphere cannot pass through

Sep 29, 08 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
dirtyd0369

it shouldn't be able to pass through, but this is one of those it looked good in plan and doesn't work in section sort of deals. I've come up with a solution.. I will post later.

Sep 29, 08 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Hello Archicad or Revit...

Or maybe not because you cannot do anything unusual without it being brain surgery through your big toe.

Sketchup is fast!!!

Sep 29, 08 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
binary

wtf..... just make a custom filler piece out of perf. metal..... if i was closer, i would make you one......

or just just cut it right before the turn down, install a coupler, add a section and call it a day.... then use plywood for the perf.metal until the new piece comes....

use dotted lines for overhead lines too.... you prolly seen that in the plan as the edge and thought you were good...

Sep 29, 08 8:19 pm  · 
 · 

much ado for small problem...

first i thought it was a major fuck up repeating on 200 floors of burj dubai...

check this out, you might find the right part for the time being, if this effort is for the certificate of occupancy

Sep 29, 08 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

2x4 painted silver

Oct 4, 08 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
binary

you'll still be .5" short :)

Oct 4, 08 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
binary

plus a weeeee bit more

Oct 4, 08 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: