Archinect
anchor

Wedding location ideas in Los Angeles/ OC?

greenlander1

Anyone know of an interesting location for a wedding in the SoCal area? We are looking for a place but it is really hard to find a place outside of the tacky or v overpriced hotels.

While I thought we were going to have 100 ppl max, the number is creeping up and now the number of 200 is being thrown around which kind of scares me. I'm figuring we are going not much higher than 150 guests in the end.

We are looking at quite a few municipal locations but there seem to be quite a few restrictions on the hours and how long the reception can go....and surprisingly some of them aren't that cheap.

Sep 28, 08 5:47 pm
FOG Lite
http://www.wayfarerschapel.org/weddings/

There's also a nice location in Elysian Park

Sep 28, 08 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

The Bowers Museum in Santa Ana, maybe? There's always people taking their wedding pics there, and I've seen them set up for events in the interior courtyard where they string white christmas lights across the air above the people... very pretty. I know they do events, don't know what their rates would be.

Sep 28, 08 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
twee

might be a bit too small...might be a bit too south-BUT in la jolla-along the beach there is a patch of grass referred to as the wedding patch- where my best friend and many many others have been married- it overlooks the ocean and la jolla is wonderful...

Sep 28, 08 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i would recommend the HollyWood A-GoGo!!!

Sep 28, 08 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

went to a wedding at yamashiro restaurant in hollywood a few months ago.

pretty nice and different but may not be able to accommodate 150 guests (looking at the photo and table layout probably 75-100 people max, but i don't know). wedding/reception all at one place which can be good.

Sep 28, 08 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

Pasadena Museum of California Art. Has a nice terrace that overlooks Pasadena.

PMCA

Sep 28, 08 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

union station
natural history museum (i think the rotunda is reopening soon?)
river park near home depot on san fernando - cypress park area(sorry i cant remember the name but there's a place you can get married there)
descanso gardens (? dont know )
la county arboretum - awesome trees!

also take alook at

www.marmivon.com

they have a cool new space called smogshoppe in cilver city as well...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/marvimon-los-angeles

Sep 29, 08 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

any other places?

Oct 4, 08 2:47 am  · 
 · 
mdler

you can get married at the Moneo Catherdral...

Oct 4, 08 4:48 am  · 
 · 
mdler

i would rent an in-n-out truck for the reception...dont get married, btw...big mistake

Oct 4, 08 4:49 am  · 
 · 
Oysters and Trifle

It may be a bit too small, but have a look at Buerge Chapel in Pacific Palisades. It'll hold less than 50 people inside. But it has this neat feature of having barn doors on one side, which opens up to a small lawn, so you can accommodate about 120 total. And it's walking distance to the beach (if you take off your stiletto's)! It features natural wood, gables, a big natural stone mantle, and an outdoor stone fireplace (non-functional?). Gothic Cowboy, extra extra small. Personally, I'd sit through a two-hour ceremony during a January downpour outdoors, and the thing would still come out beautiful there. Oh, and, congratulations!
btw, I just attended a wedding at Moneo's Cathedral this evening, speak of the devil! (Um, that didn't come out quite right.)

Oct 4, 08 6:01 am  · 
 · 
greenlander1

Thanks guys. Moneoland is a little big for our tastes. Nice though.
I'll check out Buerge Chapel. Probs a little small but def the kind of thing we are looking for.

In-n-out is something put in there in beginning. just a matter of what form it takes...

Oct 4, 08 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

For a really intimate wedding, the Kings Road house ? Does the MAK Center make it available for such events ?

Oct 4, 08 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

Wayfarer's Chapel, Palos Verdes -- nice little gem, beautiful ocean bluff setting

Oct 6, 08 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

Oh yeah, the chapel is by Lloyd Wright, Frank's son.

Oct 6, 08 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Nice one.

Oct 7, 08 12:19 am  · 
 · 
greenlander1

Kings Road would be great but the count just hit 200. so that prob excludes something like that. We've also realized that the reception area wherever that might be is v important. Ideally we have everything the ceremony and reception at one location.

I am beginning to toss around the idea of Santa Barbara or even outside LA/ OC proper since it is looking to be a bit more difficult to find something around here.

I got dragged to some somewhat depressing or stuffy hotels in Santa Monica today so I realize I gotta step up here and find a place.

In the end we are looking for something architecturally neutral, with a bunch of diff spaces w access to outdoors. Thinking we just want a more informal situation so everyone to eat really good food, get loaded, and have a good time. Having a v decked out ceremony is prob low on our priorities.

Oct 13, 08 10:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: