Archinect
anchor

Need help for discussion on WHAT IS ARCHITECTURE CURRENT SITUATION?

steventeen

I am a little confused on architecture.
I would change my major to architecute. So I have some questions
1. What basic knowledge and courses are necessary to study in Architecture?
2. What theory is important in Architecture design field? What are commonly used methods and tools?

THANK YOU FOR JOINING DISCUSSION!

Sep 26, 08 12:36 pm
coedname-X

it is very cute. just keep reading

Sep 26, 08 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
steventeen

so reading what?

Sep 26, 08 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
steventeen

or do you have some recommendation?

Sep 26, 08 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
coedname-X

delirious new york

Sep 26, 08 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
syp

Don't read anything until you get some ideas by yourself.
Now, there, in architecture, are too many bluffing.
Stay away from them.

Sep 26, 08 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

architecture is dead

Sep 26, 08 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
binary

hehehe..... had this shirt in my shop for a few weeks

b

Sep 26, 08 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

staggering inefficient worthless old homes and multitudes of new tract trash too

and high tech expensive additive facilities

Sep 26, 08 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

oh and boxed vacant high density multi family

Sep 26, 08 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
steventeen

so I am really puzzled that what I would do....just thinking my own understanding of design?Would I learn from some experience from the past theory?

Sep 27, 08 4:38 am  · 
 · 
steventeen

so I am really puzzled that what I would do....just thinking my own understanding of design?Would I learn from some experience from the past theory?

Sep 27, 08 4:38 am  · 
 · 
fays.panda

theory is dead

Sep 27, 08 4:51 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

death is just a theory

Sep 27, 08 5:35 am  · 
 · 
steventeen

SO WHAT IS ALIVE?

Sep 27, 08 5:42 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

steventeen, god is a very difficult creature to catch a glimpse of, let alone in its entirety. maybe if you leave a tangerine jam topped chocolate cupcake on your doorstep , you might be able to coax it out.

i hope someone would just offer a sincere answer that you can ingest. what a jaded snarky lot.

Sep 27, 08 5:49 am  · 
 · 

an introduction to architecture will typically involve some very basic three-dimensional play and formal analysis. in addition, it is usually a sort of boot camp in the rigorous development and case-building around an idea of making and why to make. in a nutshell, you will attempt to answer regarding your own work: 'what it this about and why?'

theory will be an extension of that question, but it can go a multitude of directions depending on your school, particular faculty, and your own predilections.

2. What theory is important in Architecture design field? What are commonly used methods and tools?

Sep 27, 08 7:15 am  · 
 · 

oops, sorry, i forgot to erase your question out of the reply box.

Sep 27, 08 7:15 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

"in a nutshell, you will attempt to answer regarding your own work: 'what it this about and why?'"

an amputated tautology in a nutshell :o)

Sep 27, 08 10:16 am  · 
 · 
steventeen

Steven Ward you really make me a little conscious of the archtetecture.So you mean the process of archi design is something of reflection on yourself?

Sep 27, 08 10:45 am  · 
 · 
steventeen

Steven Ward you really make me a little conscious of the archtetecture.So you mean the process of archi design is something of reflection on yourself?

Sep 27, 08 10:45 am  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Design is also to route the manufactoring, a new simple and 100 pct. digital projected framework, avaible cheap and strong with today's efficient production documented with a 3D model, this is also prone to last. Except architecture is to be framed within rigid lattrice boxes.
One house one material, how can that fail !

Sep 27, 08 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

We need a lattrice to develob new green materials, cheaper and better than today's, Why not jettison all the old crafts, forget dovetails and fine carpenter furniture ; do that by replacing the need for special fittings and a dusin of various materials, replace all with a framework lattrice and try do it serious, not just for the looks. Side effects will be cheap new technikes and safe houses, is the current style realy that appriciated ? Architecture need a revolution and computed building parts are cheap. Ask any hangaround this fora ; anyone has some 3D model anyone can slice that into real building parts.

Sep 27, 08 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

And add floors at varying hight plus walls where and forms by choice, build-in furniture, Go in one with the building's walls or interlock within the lattrice. Replace Designer furniture with furniture designed when the house are designed or made to be replaced later with a side efftect.

Sep 27, 08 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

i have to admit to not understanding noctilucent's comment.

no, steventeen, the project should NOT be about yourself. too many students personalize/internalize their projects when, in fact, though they are created out of your experience and point-of-view, they must be allowed to stand on their own. the 'what is this about and why' should be an indelible part of the project, separate from you as the author.

Sep 27, 08 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
archetecton

below is a link to a student's site with his solutions to the Cooper Union home test. These problems, and the students solutions might give you an idea of the types of thinking and problem-solving that the field of architecture tries to cultivate and utilize. There are more straight-forward, grounded curricula, which concentrate on history, some basic theory and the mechanics of construction, but if you have an idea of becoming a visionary in the field, or seeing what all the current excitement is about, the link below may give you some insight into "architectural education" today.

the home test

Sep 27, 08 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
archetecton

excuse me! her site, not 'his'

Sep 27, 08 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

the architectural work would be a result, an object, of a "what is this about and why" (assuming "this" stands for a certain idea to be pursued)

but since you use this phrase "regarding the work", you short-circuit "this" (in "what is this about and why") to "work" collapsing the end result (object) with the process heading towards the end result (subject). apropos your usage of "regarding" then, the phrase is read as follows : what is the work about and why. this might be a question one posits at an advanced stage where the work itself might be questioned, but knowing that the case is that of a beginner (in process and by nature), your words start to flow in a tautological traffic between one (the architectural work as an expected object but syntactically transformed into a subject vis your usage of "regarding") and the other (the process as an expected subject but syntactically rendered likewise into an object)

however, by having your post not admit to its owntautology, the crucial sign, the stamp that signals equivalency, implicit interchangeability, between the two poles is withheld. and what is tautology but its own unavoidable obviousness, an implicit self-acknowledgement of interchangeability? therefore, amputated, a missing link. Since i reinstated the sign, I am that missing link :o)

yet another possible meaning of amp. taut., perhaps one more becoming, is that you augmented this new inquisitive steventeen being’s confusion. In her mind, you didn’t answer her, you only reflected a larger image of her confusion back into her mind (therefore also her misreading of your words). Answer and question become interchangeable but without the same missing link noted above.

that’s all I meant; i usually expect quite a strict seperation between subject and object from you. u have that kind of clarity.

Sep 28, 08 7:32 am  · 
 · 

oh geez. ok, i see the question, but i don't have an answer for it.

architecture is an iterative process. there is something you make, to which you respond, make again, respond again. i don't know which comes first, or it's different every time. so what is 'this' about/why could refer to a 'this' that is either the problem at hand or one of several successive proposals. the subject/object is less important than the intentionality...at least in early architectural education.

Sep 28, 08 7:52 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

and by extending the effect of your words, one can say that it is an aim of the architectural education that terms such as subject and object, action and effect, are clarified by the student for herself in a field where these terms are, to say the least, not informed by an imperative scientific or mathematical relation but rather by a mishmash of culture (art, program and function..etc), ergonomics, technology (construction, merdia, etc) and personal inclinations. this makes the very moment of defining subject and object, or action and effect a quite esoteric one (after all, there is a gehry and there was an albert kahn: all is allowed in architecture as long as its architecture). what the architectural mind excels at then, is, chiselling away to clearly define and articulate consistency (both physical and mental). an intended consistency (you say intentionality) that, though esoteric in its very basis, allows one to design and talk about space, structure, tectonics, material assemblage..etc.

therefore, telling or showing a beginner how to begin is somewhat of an oxymoron without the begginer actually, architecturally, beginning. therefore, steventeen, this post really is of no help to you.

Sep 28, 08 8:28 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

merdia...hehe.. ça, c'est drôle :op

Sep 28, 08 8:32 am  · 
 · 
When in doubt, go inside out.

But I was doing Stella, frankly.

Sterling Prize

working dedication of Architecture in Critical Condition: Which Doctor?

Sep 28, 08 9:53 am  · 
 · 
bRink

i recommend reading this, it was the book that got me interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Experiencing-Architecture-Steen-Eiler-Rasmussen/dp/0262680025

and take a camera and go visit some buildings, whatever you like, maybe walk around the downtown of a cool city and do some personal photo essays of buildings, or sketch stuff in a sketchbook, with respect to things like solid and void, rhythms, different scales, material, color, planes, textures, daylight, acoustic quality, etc.

if you're thinking about applying to architecture school, you could use some stuff like that in a portfolio...

Sep 28, 08 11:36 am  · 
 · 
syp

Tautology can explains nothing about realities because "Language" has beed dead.

Sep 28, 08 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
steventeen

syp,you are humerous....

Sep 28, 08 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
steventeen

bRink
I really appreciate your advice!

Sep 28, 08 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

dont try to rush yourself, if you are interested, try to find the answers on your own, through research, doing, making, thinking, and reflecting, and, if you really get interested, you will do this for a long long long time,, i dont think anyone here will give you an answer that will satisfy you,,

and, yeah, language is definately not going to give you an answer, atleast not on its own

in my first ever lecture about architecture in my first year at school, during orientation week, the professor (who later on became my thesis advisor, freaky, i know) told us, what we are going to do for the rest of our lives is:

think-do-think-do-think-do-think-do-think-do-think-do-think-do-think-do-think-do-think-do-think-do-think-do-think-do-think-do-think-do-think-do-think-do-think-do-think-do-think-do-think-do-think-do-think-do-think-do-think-do-think-do-think-do-think-do-

while this is very simplistic, its probably true

Sep 28, 08 2:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: