Archinect
anchor

USA Arch.schools vs. UK Arch. schools

Jazzefina

Hi, dear architects!
I'm a third year architecture student in Moscow, Russia, I have 4 more years to study (we don't have BARCH\MARCH system, just 6-year-long-course). After graduating in Russia, I'm going, well I'm dreaming to study abroad, preferably in Uk or US ( I also thought about ETH cause I can speak German as well as English and some Italian). So, the thing is I can not decide between UK or US Masters programms! After getting a masters degree there I want to find a job and get a working visa, but I don't know whether I gonna have any chances in getting a job and a working visa... I wonder where is it more easy to do it ( UK or US)? Which country should I try to choose? My parents say, I better choose US, but although I've travelled a lot through US as well as UK I still cannot decide what to choose, that just makes me feel awful, cause I have to focus on one country, so I'm absolutely desperate, although I have 4 more years to study in Moscow ( by the way, I'm not even sure they will accept my russian diplom and credits abroad. I thought of applying to Masters degree in US or rRIBA part 2 degree in UK and the most difficult thing is - i HAVE to remain there after studying)
Thank you in andvance for replying, guys

Sep 25, 08 5:19 pm
pettydesign

the process to get into either country will be long if your looking to work. both countries like to hate immigrants (i am an american as an immigrant in the UK with an ex girlfriend who had to leave the US because of her visa issues... so ive seen both sides. )

getting your degree officially transfered over to the UK system is quite expensive. Its £1200 for each part. so if you are considered a part 2 equivilent it will cost £2400 to transfer over. of course you dont HAVE to make it official. I haven't, but I can never be a part 3 or an architect in the uk until i do. I just dont want to spend the money...

Sep 25, 08 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

we'll probably be at war by the time you graduate. we have to stimulate the economy somehow...

Sep 25, 08 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

figure out wat it is u want from a school first

Sep 26, 08 6:49 am  · 
 · 
med.

There is no "vs" in this discussion. Everyone country let alone every school does things differently.

Sep 26, 08 8:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: