Archinect
anchor

Best places to work as an architect in the world

laistm

So everyone!! What are your experiences with this topic? THE BEST PLACES TO WORK IN WORLD AS AN ARCHITECT!!! The floor is open!

Sep 24, 08 9:53 am
med.

Good question. I have a feeling it will be many years before I establish the answer to this question. There seem to be a great many factors.

Cities that are good for architects are often cities that are far too expensive for an architect... At least for now.

Sep 24, 08 10:06 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

Best as in what? Job growth? Wages? Design culture?

As archmed pointed out some of the popular cities have a prohibitive cost of living. I don't think any city can objectively be selected as "best"

Sep 24, 08 10:12 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

berlin used to be great

definitely no prohibitive cost of living

Sep 24, 08 10:18 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

chicago is pretty good i think... and also not prohibitively expensive

Sep 24, 08 10:33 am  · 
 · 
usernametaken

As far as "heart for design" and "quality of living" are concerned, I think Zürich ranks pretty high up there. The downside might be that can be a bit boring...

Berlin is definitely great, but the thing is that there are just not that many decent jobs for architects there. At least, not as much as there are architects...

Amsterdam is also definitely a good city...

Sep 24, 08 10:44 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Best place for an architect to work? Who knows?

But greater Los Angeles been good for the likes of (in no particular order) Hunt, Wright, Greene & Greene, Schindler, Neutra, Ellwood, Eames, Pelli, Gehry, Moore, Mayne & Rotondi, Moss, Gill, Gruen, Pei, Mangurian, Lescaze, Johnson, Ain, Parkinson, Martin, Goodhue, Hodgetts, Q. Jones, Kappe, Koenig, Lautner, Pereira, Soriano, Isozaki, Harris, Williams.... the list grows.

... not to mention planners like Olmsted, Jr., Nolen, Bartholomew, Cheney (Charles, not Dick) Stein, and Lynch.

Sep 24, 08 11:31 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

zürich's cost of living is fairly prohibitive!

Sep 24, 08 11:35 am  · 
 · 
kyleseyz

I think Seattle has the potential to get there someday... :)

Sep 24, 08 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

detroit, michigan

Sep 24, 08 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

hmmm good question. i havent worked in loads of places but i have moved around a bit - australia, germany, the netherlands. and so far i would say NL is the best so far. alot of good office, good working conditions and a healthy design culture.

but of course the grass is always greener. i would love to work in LA, i can't really explain why, just a desire. and not an easy one to follow up.

Sep 24, 08 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
binary

hahha puddles beat me to it..

detroit.... alot of land to mess with........ but dont be surprised if you cant find any investors/funding.....

Sep 24, 08 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

exactly...still lots of room left for more of these

Sep 24, 08 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

@Holz.box: but the salary you can get there definitely makes up for it...

Sep 24, 08 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Monetarily speaking, you have to consider wage:cost of living ratio.

Sep 24, 08 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
pettydesign

as far as number of firms london is pretty great. my office is a 10 minute walk from home... and i pass 3 other mid-sized arch firms on the way. and my area isn't where most of the firms are either.... there are arch firms everywhere here!

i still feel the quality is above most US cities for design.... though it is Big Brother CCTV England.

Sep 25, 08 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Of the two places i've worked, Shanghai and NYC, Shanghai gets my vote hands down. I got paid peanuts as an intern there, but I really enjoyed it. However, that choice is definitely not for most people, like if you hate Chinese food and have asthma.

Sep 26, 08 9:10 am  · 
 · 
IlazyMexican

I like working at my desk the most...I have tried it on planes, in a car and even tried getting stuff done in the bathroom once, but the desk just seems like the best place for me to work. I have had some limited success in a bar, so that would be my vote for second best.

Sep 26, 08 9:50 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

Ilazy, I disagree. While a desk is great, the ADA stall in studio bathroom back at school was the best place for me to work. It was spacious, well-lit, private, and surprisingly comfortable. A zen-like space despite the occasional heaviness in the air.

Sep 26, 08 10:12 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

or Celebration, Florida.

Sep 26, 08 10:13 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: