Archinect
anchor

Lay offs?

Apurimac

Again, like I said, you've had experience with really shitty firms. Some firms do operate like Innitech and, at the slightest whiff of recession, will layoff almost everybody who isn't management.

Sep 26, 08 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
binary

bob..... bob.......

Sep 26, 08 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
J3

Well, an update...
3 Miami firms had lay-offs today. 8-10 each...
the Sh!t is really starting to hit the fan.
One of the firms has imposed lower pay rates to remaining employees... but they get to keep their jobs. Others have switched to 4 day weeks. Fantastico!

Sep 26, 08 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Yeah, I've heard Miami is really struggling.

Just so you know a very major international/national firm located in DC also is in the process of laying people off.

Sep 26, 08 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
binary

might have to move to canada....

job lose in miami..... just get in good with the cubans and slang some stuff for them for a while...... if you have a fast car or a boat then your good.....or if your a ninja

b

Sep 26, 08 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
J3

really, be interesting to see who...
that's a market which is strong for us, but heard about some local DC firms (I lived there for a while...) that have been hit recently.

Sep 26, 08 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
J3

BTW, I've got a 43' donzi with 1200 hp to make some runs on the side...so I've got that angle covered (J/K)

Sep 26, 08 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Lookout Kid

I didn't hear about any new layoffs this past Friday, but the economic news doesn't seem any better. My firm is quite busy for now, so I guess we'll have to see how this all shakes out over time. The fact that construction loans could be hard to come by in the nenar future scares the crap out of me. When I see the small costs that developers freak out about (and nearly cancel project over), I imagine that bad interest rates on loans will be a major budget buster.

Sep 27, 08 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Lookout Kid

I'll give one name. It's pretty common knowledge in Chicago circles that SCB laid off about 10% of its workforce last week. I won't give the other firm, though, because that news has traveled slower.

Sep 27, 08 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
Gravitas

I was a part time employee at a very small NYC firm and was laid off this past winter. It sucked, but I think it hurt my boss to do it more than it hurt me to get laid off. I moved to Europe and my firm in Belgium is now hiring.

Sep 27, 08 2:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: