Archinect
anchor

Desire Paths

fays.panda

Discuss

ideas, experiences, thoughts,, etc

does it still exist in some contemporary cities, where only vehicles matter, while people still need to walk??

For images of desire paths and a brief description:
http://shapeandcolour.wordpress.com/2008/02/29/gaston-bachelard-the-poetics-of-space-desire-paths/

Sep 20, 08 6:13 am
liberty bell

I think college campuses are the most common place to find them.

My son and I use one weekly, when we scale the embankment of a bridge so we can walk over the bridge to get to the park. The embankment is very overgrown with weed trees, but a little path alongside the bridge has been worn out.

I recall a story I once heard about desire paths: A groundskeeper was constantly battling to keep students from wearing a track across a pad of grass on campus. He kept putting up signs saying "stay off the grass" etc., but the students kept cutting across and making a line. So he finally put up a sign that said "Please vary your path". Once the students started walking in various paths across the grass, instead of one, the track didn't appear.

It's a parable, of course, about not getting in a rut. Please vary your path.

Sep 20, 08 8:55 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

That's a good story, lb.

There are lots of desire paths near beaches as well.

Sep 20, 08 11:53 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

and in cruising areas, literally desire. London's Hampton Heath paths are practically desire-coded. Funny that sometimes going no where specific leads to something very specific.

Sep 21, 08 6:55 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

and who is to say people in cars don't take their own 'desire paths'?

Sep 21, 08 6:56 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

desire path sounds like a new term for pubic hair trimming? or desire patch maybe???

Sep 21, 08 3:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: