Archinect
anchor

AIA fees

Veuxx
As an associate with a year of experience as a non licensed architect

Should I pay the expensive dues to join AIA?

Aug 23, 13 11:37 am

Only if you are able and willing to then be a VERY ACTIVE member: serving on committees, attending every function, etc.  If you're willing to put int he time and effort to *make* it a networking opportunity then it can be a very good one.

Aug 23, 13 11:57 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

Something is only "expensive" if you don't find it to be a good value. But, Donna is right ... to get good value from a membership in AIA one must become active and not just remain a mailbox member.

There is no doubt that AIA can be a challenge at times. However, having said that, I can share that I was VERY active in AIA for more than 25 years. I was fortunate in being able to progress through most volunteer leadership positions in AIA, from local to state to national. It took a lot of time, but it also was a tremendously enriching experience. I met - and got to know - a lot of people I otherwise would never have met; I was exposed deeply to aspects of our profession that I otherwise would never have encountered. My volunteer leadership positions gave me valuable leadership development experience and helped me to develop public speaking and presentation skills that served me well in my professional career.

For me, it was an extremely worthwhile and broadening experience. You should give it a try.

Aug 23, 13 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Veuxx
Thanks for your input donna
Aug 24, 13 2:50 am  · 
 · 
ark1t3kt

As an unlicensed architect, the dues are considerably cheaper, as you can only be an Associate member of the AIA. For the Chicago chapter, as an example, its $664 for an architect, and $240 for an intern. 

But like everyone stated above, it's only worth it if you take advantage of it. If you are looking to pad your resume, or have additional letters on your business card, then no, its not worth it.

Aug 25, 13 1:58 pm  · 
 · 

Good advice from Donna. IMO Not worth it.

Aug 26, 13 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
Jster14

Has anyone looked to see what yearly membership dues are for:

AMA?

ABA?

How about average salaries for doctors and lawyers.

Now tell me why in the world would anyone would pay $600+ for an annual AIA membership? What could possibly justify that amount of money? Simply ridiculous. 

Nov 7, 19 4:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: