Archinect
anchor

Bicycle Storage

Benjamin_

Hello everyone,

I am working on a large green building with a lot of shift work. I am aiming to provide 60+ bicycle "parking spots". I have heard of a storage unit with compartments (essentially lockers) with individual spaces with locking doors where you can hang your bike vertically. I thought it was a Rubbermaid product, but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone know of this?

Any similar products would be helpful too, they just have to be very accessible to users.

Thanks

Sep 15, 08 5:03 pm
postal

i miss this place...

mcdonald's cycle center at millenium park chicago

but yeah... don't know of the verticle thing... you could just provide hooks, but i don't think users will like that...

Sep 15, 08 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
postal

whoops...

Sep 15, 08 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

do a google search for Fahrradstation, these are really popular in germany, and some are designed really really well.

Sep 15, 08 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

posted from my phone. check out "bike tree" on youtube. and mightylittle used to work for a guy in berkeley that engineered the "e locker"

sorry i couldnt post links. on my phone.

Sep 15, 08 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

posted from my phone. check out "bike tree" on youtube. and mightylittle used to work for a guy in berkeley that engineered the "e locker"

sorry i couldnt post links. on my phone.

Sep 15, 08 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

#1 http://www.bikelink.org/

#2 http://elocktech.com/

where's the project located?

Sep 15, 08 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
ether

There's a bike storage unit I saw earlier today in Dwell. I can't think of the name but I'm pretty sure it came from this months or last months issue. It essentially is a small cone looking thing that mounts to the wall. A single bike can be mounted to it very simply. I'll try and find it tomorrow.

Sep 15, 08 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
CycleSafe

bike lockers

bikeparking bike lockers

ameribike bike lockers

...you get the picture. I typed "bicycle lockers" into google, and those were the top three results, all spot on.

Sep 16, 08 5:26 am  · 
 · 
Benjamin_

Awsome! thanks guys for the suggestions.

Rationalist: I have seen a few of those links. The problem with those is that they take up so much damn space! If they hung vertically that would be perfect

Mighty: The project is located in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

I think we may just resort to building a shelter with racks.

Sep 16, 08 8:27 am  · 
 · 
ether

here ya go. not sure if it's what you're looking for...Cycloc.

Sep 16, 08 9:52 am  · 
 · 
nb072

somehow secure to park bikes so that they (or their parts) don't get stolen is long overdue in the wider world... i don't take my bike anywhere because i know it will get messed up if i lock it on any typical city bike rack.

Sep 16, 08 10:07 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

amtrak trains use onboard bike racks that mount your bike vertically. it's two metal hooks bolted on a wall, top and bottom. the rims hang from the hooks. there is a third component bolted on the wall, around the middle, with a long cable attached and a latch at the end. you wrap the cable around the frame and latch to a metal hoop to further secure the bike. could it be a rubbermaid storage retrofitted with these hooks?

Sep 16, 08 10:07 am  · 
 · 
Benjamin_

Dammson, it could be a retrofitted shed, I'm not too sure. It came up in conversation about 8 months ago...

Thats a great idea for the train though!

Sep 16, 08 10:52 am  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i agree with nicholas - the things need to be lockers, especially if they're located at or adjacent to transit hubs.

you want people to be able to ride their bike to transit, and leave their helmet, their sneakers, gloves, reflectors, etc, IN the locker so they don't have to carry it to work. that's the kind of convenience that get's people to start taking it seriously.

also, the advantage to ones like the elock version (over those with single user profiles) is that they're smart-card based, and can accommodate more people than the number of lockers installed given everyone's different schedules...they can also be used by wholly different groups of people in the evenings and on weekends...they're not dedicated one-locker to one-person.

that being said though, they are more expensive and require smart cards...though last i heard they were working on ones that allowed users to pay with cell-phones and/or credit cards...

Sep 16, 08 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

ml,

office i worked @ previously did a bike garage. it was oval-ish, covered w/ slatted wood walls. bikes were hung inside like the amtrak picks. there were no lockers.

however, this project was for a smaller community (less than 300,000) and everyone routinely biked everywhere.

i can see how in the u.s., lockers might be necessary. but sometimes, i think it's just a huge waste of space and people should suck it up.

Sep 16, 08 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

in my limited experience i'd tend to agree with you, but the reality is that some people are simply reluctant to leave their bikes locked to an open rack especcially at a transit center where thieves know the bike owners are gone for the day. where i live, for example, bikes are routinely stripped at the racks, but not so in the lockers.

lockers definitely take up more space, but can effectively serve a pretty decent population if they're built/located well. in the same transit hub where i used to commute, there were all three types of bike storage:

-individual lockers, one-key, one-user
-elockers with smart card access control
-open racks

the individual-use lockers were the LEAST used and took up the MOST space. the racks were quite full but in varying degrees of security, and the elockers which had begun at a modest 10-15% use, slowly climbed up to probably 75-90% full as word got out and people learned how to use them.

these in particular have some pretty high-tech features, cost only $.03 per hour, and are both secure and weather protected to some degree. they're covered, but have mesh infill panels. they also transmit by mini-wi-fi diagnostics and use rates back to a central server which allows for the possibility of remotely renting one and/or checking availability.

there are some folks who are also building double decked versions, but they require some more mechanical trickery to keep them operationally easy to use i think...

i dig the concept though and think there's some value.

though, it would be great if there were simply tons of available bikes like the VeloLib system in Paris. not so much where i live.

Sep 16, 08 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES
bike tree

Ive tried to use this tree at a transit center in Berkeley - but the agency wasn't down with using a technology that wasnt proven in the US. I belive they are only in place in Paris. We are using E-Lockers...the norm.
But I just love the idea of the tree...doesnt take up much footprint area, secure, weather protected, and they look kind of interesting, well alot better than a plastic/metal box on the ground.

Mighty - How the hell are ya? We need another night at the Toronado! ASAP!

Sep 16, 08 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES
a bit much but pretty sweet
Sep 16, 08 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

wAtS - doing well. definitely could use another night at the 'Nado. u still dating that stripper?!? ;-)

Sep 17, 08 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

that tokyo bike cavern is AWESOME!!!

Sep 17, 08 12:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: