Archinect
anchor

getting a job thru a recruiter

useasbacku

anyone had experience of a recruiter? I sent resume to a job on craiglist, and it came out to be a recruiter. is that good? only big firm use it? or I need to pay something to them ?it's wierd because I'm at junior level...

Sep 15, 08 8:57 am
Synergy

If possible I would avoid them, they are kind of middle men feeding off of our industry. Also, you may end up getting temporary jobs which are also not good for the profession as whole, in my opinion.

Sep 15, 08 9:15 am  · 
 · 
JCT81683

I ended up getting my job through a recruiter and it was a fairly positive experience especially when looking for my first job. I did the same as you and responded to an ad online and much to my surprise it was a recruiter.

I made sure to establish upfront that she was not expecting any compensation for working with me.

One of the really nice things was over the phone she gave me some suggestions on the interview, and was able to help me negotiate my salary if need be.

She did get me to a firm that i have been with for a few years now, it is a medium size firm so i would say that only large firms use them.

Looking back on it, it was a good way for me to get started, and if you are coming out of school it may be an avenue to try.

Sep 15, 08 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

they either tend to promise salaries that are out of scale for the experience, or you are impacted with their fees keeping you from getting the appropriate $$$

Sep 15, 08 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
med.

There is a big difference between 'recruiters' and 'headhunters.'

Sep 15, 08 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Blacksmith

I agree with the previous post. I too got my current job through a recruiter. I filled a postion for between a jr. architect/project architect. It doesn't have to be a large firm (mine is an A/E firm with only about 75 ppl, total) and they *typically* don't expect compensation. I also got some pointers from the recruiter to help on interview, despite being well versed in professional conduct.

Synergy- I agree there are some you should stay away from. Those recruiters that ask for money up front to distribute your resume are a waste.

Be specific and straight forward with recruiter. Make sure you tell them that you are ONLY looking for a FULLTIME POSTION! I almost got taken by a temp postion which allowed the company to use you for a 6-12 months and then fire you with no reasoning if they weren't absolutely happy with your work. The temp place actually paid you so the company had no ties.

I was sure to email everything and ask for everything in writing, not just what was in a phone conversation. Then saved it all for records. Just in case. hope that helps

Sep 15, 08 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
Ea™e

Recruiting is Modern-Day Slave Trading.
They get between you and your prospective job (that you would otherwise know about) and take a portion of the salary the Employer was willing to pay anyway. Employers rely on Staffers to weed-out the losers and send only the best.

Sep 15, 08 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
T D

There is one particular NJ firm which caters to the NYC market. You must NEVER EVER work for them. seriously. send me a message if you got a response from a NJ firm, and I can give you their name

Sep 15, 08 1:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: