Archinect
anchor

pdf or word........hmmmm

binary

working on a few things

resume is in word
work samples are in photoshop

would it make sense to print both to pdf and make 1file.....

or should i just send a folder/file that has word document(resume) and then a pdf(samples).

i know .psd to pdf's can get big....hence why i use word......

you think hr/arch/etc would even bother opening it?

i know some firms have certain guidelines/etc.... reason why i had to use word for a few apps.

what i have so far
1 page cover letter
2 pages for resume/built projects/experience
1page of work samples..

i only noticed that that larger firms have requirements for "processing you resume" on a large database system.....grrrr.

Sep 14, 08 6:55 pm
bowling_ball

pdf's, fo shizzle. At least then you know that everything CAN be opened up. With the change to the new Word formats, new stuff can't be opened in older versions, so it's risky.

Sep 14, 08 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Just make sure you run spell check, update addresses, phones numbers, last names (if recently married) and all references to the type of work and/or firm you are applying to. Apparently many people don't bother to do this stuff and larger HR departments are just looking for excuses to reject applications since they have so many resumes coming in, so you don't want to be lumped into that.

I'd go with a pdf, one simple file that everyone should be able to open without problems. Otherwise atleast make sure you save back to a somewhat older version, perhaps Word 2003 format or older?

Sep 14, 08 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
binary

yeah.....

i figured pdf would be best...... i really really really hate word....... seems like every time i open it, my margins are off/etc..grrr

hopefully i'll have this done tonight.......

thanks
b

Sep 14, 08 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
sarah123

Do not send word docs, many people won't open these because of possible viruses (real or imagined.) Plus as was said you don't know what the document will look like on the other end.
If you print to pdf, files will usually be quite small.
Do not send more than 1mb... ever. A link to a personal website (even if very simple) may be better. For samples 3 pages should be plenty.

Sep 14, 08 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
binary

just my work sample page is at 1.84m.....as a pdf

maybe i'll say it as a jpeg first at a lower size and then print it....

i'll have to check some settings to see if i can tweek that number straight from the .psd

thanks
b

Sep 14, 08 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Export to PDF from Word. Nice, handy and easy.

I'd probably make the port part in Illustrator or InDesign, export as PDF.

Sep 14, 08 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
sarah123

you can also try printing the pdf back to pdf and playing with the max size settings.
Sometimes this makes it smaller, sometimes not. depends on the original image sizes. Doing the layout in illustrator and indesign as was mentioned by trace does tend to mean sm image size, because white areas are treated differently.

Sep 14, 08 11:10 pm  · 
 · 

in-design is def the easiest.

failing that you can reduce file size from acrobat pro. i don't know what the terms are in english but i think there is a tool called "reduce filesize" or similar.

Sep 15, 08 9:18 am  · 
 · 
beefeaters

make sure your layers are flattened

Sep 15, 08 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
binary

ahh...... maybe flatten will help...good point...hmmmm...

want to send this stuff out in the morning.....

thanks for the help folks

b

Sep 15, 08 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
Primavera888

ratherjust export to PDF from Word, it's easy. from pdf to world i'm nit sure...

Oct 9, 13 9:29 am  · 
 · 
VON LEE

easy...pdf every time. 

If i receive a word file or psd or excel or anything else, those folks go right into the garbage. Lazy, inexperienced college students send files in native formats. dont be a scrub..up your game people. 

Oct 13, 13 2:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: