Archinect
anchor

where is the hottest arch job market?

useasbacku

I seriously have to leave my current job, I hate it here. I'd prefer to relocate to any cities on east coast.
it seems most of the jobs posted on archinect is from New York?

Sep 14, 08 11:10 am
snook_dude

Polshek is hiring in the city....say it in the nytimes today, along with a couple of other ads in the help wanted section. The activity in the help wanted ads are really down from a year ago.

Sep 14, 08 11:12 am  · 
 · 
med.

NYC seems to be the hottest place.

For a while DC (where I work) was doing pretty well but the faltering economy really cooled things down. Things are starting to get a little better now, especially with firms that aren't multi-family or residential-heavy.

I've found that firms that specialize in higher ed, research, institutional, medical, k-12, corporate/office, and interiors are doing pretty well.

Sep 14, 08 11:42 am  · 
 · 
PodZilla

Dubai.

Sep 14, 08 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
binary

not michigan, thats for sure...... avoid it like a gypse women with 14 kids

Sep 14, 08 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
randomized
Sep 14, 08 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
complex

IRAQ

Sep 14, 08 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Everyone I talk to in Boston is riding out the lowtimes pretty well... seems like there's plenty of healthcare and academic work to keep everyone going.

In fact I'd generally look in cities with strong healthcare and academic markets -- as they tend to have a lot of capital and a more or less constant need for construction projects, they often hold off on the big projects during times of expensive construction (high demand) and then initiate those projects when the rest of the market tanks and the construction companies are hungry and cheap.

Even if you don't want to do healthcare or academic, that still means there's more money floating around in those cities for construction during downturns. (Doctors and university provosts have more or less steady salaries and they need work done too...)

Sep 14, 08 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

from the title of this thread is seems like you were searching for market to find a hot architect ala

Sep 14, 08 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

have you tried a monster job search in wasila alaska? its hot i here.

Sep 14, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

its a bit hotter in dubai.. I promise you you will find a job there, and you wil get paid extremely well, but you are going to be in for some kind of shock,,,

Sep 14, 08 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Anyone who would work in a country where the residents are subjects of a royal family and whose sole business is as a tax free pirate's bay would have to be - well an ass hat

Sep 14, 08 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hey you're talkin bout our allies!

Sep 14, 08 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
Xing

shanghai, PRC.....

Sep 14, 08 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Platypus while I would never want to be a part of a society that subjugates its people, it's way more complicated than that. You simply don't know enough about the UAE to make those kinds of simplistic claims.

Sep 14, 08 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

"Anyone who would work in a country where the residents are subjects of [the Bush] family and whose sole business is as a tax free pirate's bay [for the lucky few] would have to be - well an ass hat"

Sep 15, 08 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Seattle has the second highest number of architects per capita...San francisco is #1

Sep 15, 08 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

At the time of this posting, the Career Center at AIA.org shows the following quantity of jobs ads in the following top markets:

CA: 54
NY: 26
TX: 25
ME: 22
NC: 19
WA: 19
DC: 15

Good luck!

Sep 16, 08 11:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: