Archinect
anchor

how to explain a folding building in construction drawings?

cmrhm

I have chance to do a design develop drawing for a building with folding surface. There are some questions regarding how to use plan/sections to represent such folding facade efficiently.

Generally speaking, I think I can use rhino to cut the floor plan to get the intersection point between floor slab and surface.  But what about the folding facade between two slabs? Do I need to cut every 1'?

I am also thinking if I could just unfold the facade and write a script to create coordinates for all the points.

Also, What the professional programs like catia will do for such easy task? Some people in other firms suggest me to check for DP which is produced by Gehry Technology.

May 28, 11 11:16 pm
jmanganelli

do you mean that the facade is static, but made of folded sheet material, or that the facade is a dynamic folding surface?

is the folding surface a repeating pattern or is each fold unique?

May 28, 11 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Each fold is unique.  It seems most of firms are using DP.  But they are expensive and my firm never used it before. 

What if the folding facade just 10% of the whole facade, is there any cheaper solution by just using Rhino? BTW,  I don't know what the file format the curtain wall manufacturer would like to use yet.

May 29, 11 12:28 am  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

Have you watched the digital toolbox series of videos? There are a few videos that show how to take a complex folded pattern or diagrid and have it auto layout as a series of patterns fitted onto sheets of material to be digitally fabricated. Those videos use grasshopper to do that. If you are just using rhino, you can use the 'contour' command to quickly take many sections at a set interval and the 'unrollsurface' command to generate flat cut out shapes for singly curved surfaces. The details are still difficult to comprehend, but it sounds like you may in fact want/need something more like digital project. Alternatively, revit seems to be getting more capable in this regard, though a far cry from digital project. But if you want to think about revit as a possibility, the revit kid blog has tutorials on revit and calculus which is really just his way of saying complex, parametric form. You might check out those videos to determine if you can do it in revit. I realize I haven't given any links by ate because if you google 'revit kid' and 'calculus' or 'digital toolbox' and 'grasshopper' you should be able to quickly find the tutorials I mentioned. Hope some of this helps n

May 29, 11 8:05 am  · 
 · 

I don’t know how complex the form is but… Maybe it doesn't need to be a section cut from a computer model. You could draw a detailed section perspective or plan perspective. Atelier Bow-Wow’s drawings come to mind. The problem with sections cut from a computer model is that if your not careful they can often just look like sections cut from a computer model. You need to edit them after the fact to turn the raw export of the program into a successful image. However you do it, giving the drawing depth and an appropriate level of detail and care will make it really shine.

Good Luck.

http://3d-entrepreneurs.blogspot.com/2010/09/graphic-anatomy-by-atelier-bow-wow.html

http://www.saroshmulla.com/assets/Graphic-Anatomy-_-Atelier-Bow-Wow_02.jpg

http://cdn.archdaily.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/1507603707_3d-section.jpg

May 29, 11 9:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: