Archinect
anchor

job searching in boston

amadeus19

Hello,

i just graduated in May and postponed my job search to do some traveling over the summer. Upon returning home and beginning my job search I have discovered that the job market in Boston for a young architect is somewhat bleek. After sending my information to numerous type of firms; big, small, corporate, starchitect, and all of the above, I have had little luck. I'm an intelligent, well-spoken, young architect eager to learn, however I'm finding an opportunity to do this in Boston may prove to be difficult. I would like to be in the area of various reasons, however without a job this may be difficult. Any hints or helpful tips for an intern trying to break into Boston's architectural scene would be great.

Sep 13, 08 3:59 pm
med.

Payette

They do good work.

Sep 13, 08 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

offer to work for free....that should help you get your foot in the door

Sep 13, 08 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

If your from a family with alot of money you might want to offer them up a contract which involves you giving them money for the experience....kind of like College. In hard times it is hard to turn away a paying customer. Who cares if they are doing bathroom elevations....or reordering the sample room. I'm sure there are alot of Firms in Bean Town looking for this kind of opportunity...

Johnny Mc Pain.

Sep 13, 08 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

well--what are your skills and experience? Have you worked more than just some summers between school years?

Are you applying to job listings that are beyond your current skillset and experience?

Some firms are doing better than others right now and it depends on which sector that you're interested in: institutional (higher education) firms seem to be doing better than the other markets as well as firms that are more diversified and/or have a more global practice.

Sep 14, 08 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

start by working as a temp worker, with a company like dakota design staff... do that to get your foot in the door & check out various firms while being able to keep up your permanent job search and interviewing on the side. Dakota design staff is great as they pay your taxes too (rare for a temp agency). The guy who runs it is great.

Sep 14, 08 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

amadeus.

it took me about 6 months to find a job in the boston area...
i sent out a bunch of resumes...worked every contact i could get...
even those i knew i wasn't interested in...boston is a small town.

couple things i'd suggest...1. go to the boston society of architects...look through their listings and such... 2. find out if there's any alumni in the area.
talk to them and just ask them questions..advice etc.

i'd send a resume to payette, add inc..etc. they're larger firms that could probably afford to take on younger people. perry dean rogers...they do architect of record work for a lot of famous architects..

in your first few years..you just have to be tenacious. the economy isn't in your favor...but there's always someone hiring.

takethe time to rework your portfolio...make new drawings...etc. keep working on your stuff to make it more presentableto potential employers...
starting out you kinda have to be humble and do whatever it takes to get your foot in the door...don't sell out..but things might not be perfect right off the bat
(or ever)..but especially early.

Sep 14, 08 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

here's the link to the BSA's job listings in case you haven't found it yet:

BSA Jobs

Sep 14, 08 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
amadeus19

Well in response to a previous post, my experience is that of a typical fresh graduate: 3 summer interns, 2 study abroad programs, volunteering w/ some charity arch groups, ect. My computer skills are well versed, Cadd, adobe suite, Revit, some 3ds Max, and others. I don't think I'm applying for jobs out of my skill set, I very clearly state in my resume my experience and the position I am qualified or looking for. Thank you all for your imput, the information is very helpful, and I will def. take the time to look at my portfolio again and revise and add some things. Thanks so much again!

Sep 15, 08 11:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: