Archinect
anchor

Hurricane Ike

aquapura

Looks like Houston is going to take a direct hit tonight.

Right now what is important that all the archinectors in the Houston and TX/LA gulf coast region are safe.

As someone who rode out Alicia in a north Houston home way back in '83 please head inland.

Galveston is already a mess and the traffic cameras on the Gulf Freeway are showing rising waters.

For updates visit www.chron.com

The long term affects will most likely hit us all. Right now 5 million barrels per day of refining capacity has been shut down. This is over 16% of total US capacity and 6% of global capacity. This will affect fuel delivery from TX all the way up to Maine. Also, 2 million barrels per day of production is offline in the Gulf right now which possibly can take months to get on-line after the storm. On top of that Houston is where much of our oil imports come from. The energy impact is staggering.

I'm crossing my fingers for a best case scenario. My close friends have evacuated to Dallas & Austin areas last night. Right now time for others to do similar is very short.

My thoughts are with anyone in the region tonight.

Sep 12, 08 4:31 pm
ether

aye our meetings down there were canceled for today and many of our consultants have closed shop. for our current project, we've done quite a bit of environmental research on houston much of which looked at circumstances around 100 year flood scenarios in and around brays bayou. i've seen pictures of when Allison rolled through, not fun. our thoughts are with you as well.

Sep 12, 08 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

the Gustav thread has links to all previous hurricane threads.

archinect emergency page

god speed and safe passage for all those houstonians in the path.

Sep 12, 08 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I got my wife, son, and myself out yesterday at noon...it took us about 5 hours to get to Austin. Expect about 2 -3 days of power outages at the very least.

I was in Houston for Allison and could not take a direct hit with a 15month old tagging along...Allison was crazy enough with just my wife and I.

Sep 12, 08 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I hope everyone in Houston is doing ok...this could really make for a crazy semester as reports are currently saying power could be out for weeks.

Rice Archis, UH Archis...and all others...stay safe.

Sep 13, 08 10:26 am  · 
 · 
ichweiB

School of Architecture at UH lost a major portion of the roof. The initial reaction was that we might be closed for about 2 weeks. Studios are flooded/have water damage.

Sep 14, 08 11:41 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

wow...hopefully UH is not flooding due to the new rains that have nowhere to go due to ground saturation.

Cord called me and told me to stay put in austin for at least a week...this is crazy...the semester is definitely not what I am focusing on right now.

Sep 14, 08 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

How did the atrium hold up? I'm on the west side, so I've got lights and the sewer system but our roof is still leaking. Going to have a nice little redesign project of my parents kitchen.

Sep 14, 08 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ike is wreaking havoc in the midwest....700,000 without power in the Cincinnati area. One-day rain record in Chicago...

None of this seems to be on the national news though. They are still covering Houston, of course, but not even a byline somewhere?

Sep 14, 08 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
binary

detroit got hit with 7-12" of water yesterday.....

i havent stayed up to date with ike....but holy @#$%^&.....

i think mother earth is pissed off....seriously

b

Sep 14, 08 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

well we still have 2.3 million without power in houston ...and I have seen lots on the chicago and midwest via the weather channel.

I would assume the national media is focusing on houston because that is where they have been deployed ni the aftermath...the full ike story is still yet to be covered...the shear size of this storm is mind boggling.

anyway...I hope everyone stays safe as this beast continues it's northeastern course of destruction.

Sep 14, 08 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

That's true. The storm is huge but I'm amazed that those kinds of winds made it that far inland. I heard 70 mph in Cincinnati.

Where's our Indiana people? I bet they had winds too....

I'm not a violent person but days like today make me want to punch global warming deniers in the face...

Sep 14, 08 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

The initial impact stretched from south of corpus christi all the way east of new orleans...I agree...get used to the future of super storms.

Sep 14, 08 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

From Weather.com:

"The remnants of Ike were located in northwest tip of Ohio at 5 p.m. EDT Sunday. Ike was rocketing northeastward at 50 mph. Winds are still gusting to hurricane force on the east and southeast side of the center. Louisville, Ky. reported a wind gust of 75 mph at 12:51 p.m. CDT well to the southeast of the center of Ike. Owensboro, Ky. reported wind gusts of 73 mph just after 10 a.m. CDT. During the afternoon, Covington, Ky. gusted to 74 mph and Paoli, Ind. gusted to 81 mph. The strongest wind will shift into the eastern Great Lakes tonight.

The intense rain, occurring along the path of Ike, is mainly confined to Lower Michigan and will shift into eastern Canada as Ike tracks north of the border tonight.

The tail of Ike's remnants could still produce showers and thunderstorms in the lower Mississippi Valley through tonight and in the Southeast and along the Mid-Atlantic coast Monday.

Ike made landfall as a category 2 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Scale at 2:10 a.m. CDT Saturday morning at Galveston, Texas, with maximum sustained winds near 110 miles per hour. Its minimum pressure was 951.6 millibars, reported by the barometer at the Galveston Pleasure Pier when the center passed overhead.

Ike was a hurricane for 9 days and 21 hours."

This thing is basically attacking the entire eastern half of the US in some way or another!!!

Sep 14, 08 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
binary

shit.... i dont have insurance on the vette......that could be a quick 25gs if anything happened

Sep 14, 08 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
binary

Sep 14, 08 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Here in Naptown we got some strong wind and rain. Nothing bad, at least in my neighborhood - some downed branches, part of my fence fell over but it's old and I planned on rebuilding it anyway. Electricity dimmed a couple times over the afternoon, but we didn't lose it.

The stronger portion of the storm was north of us, tough - so northern Indiana and Michigan got it pretty hard, and obviously parts of Ohio.

I'm amazed at how the forecasters were able to predict how the storm would turn and move eastward - crazy how accurate they can be!

Sep 14, 08 9:37 pm  · 
 · 

half of louisville is without power. not us!

Sep 14, 08 9:49 pm  · 
 · 

hope everyone's ok. even here with our limited damage there were lots of fires, squished cars/houses, and trees down everywhere. we didn't expect quite what WE got, so i'm betting those farther north didn't either.

Sep 14, 08 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

chupa and mjh, I'm guessing you are still evacuated? Hope you get to go home and find everything intact soon.

Sep 15, 08 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Just talked with a friend who rode Ike out in Sugarland, TX. No power but minimal damage. Winds blew a roof vent off and caused some water damage in the attic. From experience "camping" at home w/out power in the Houston, TX heat & humidity is not fun.

Sep 15, 08 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

yep...still in austin working on my laptop in a friends house in Travis Heights while he is off to work. I am about to walk my dog, who has been trapped at my mother in laws house, down at the local dog park...should be a nice respite from the worrying...although I am finally getting work done I know there are thousands who are stuck in make shift shelters who are not able to return either...so, all things considered I feel quite lucky. Friends drove by my house and found no damage even though my neighborhood is largely a complete mess and fairly impassable due to large 100+ year oaks that have been toppled taking chunks of sides walk and asphalt with them. Still no electricity, but I have heard that water pressure is returning but potable water is still not being delivered from faucets and you are advised not to bath in it...but being able to flush must be nice.

For now we are looking at returning on wednesday...I hope my cats aren't too freaked out :(

a friend stopped by to check on them and said they had the look of, "where are my peoplez?"

Sep 15, 08 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Houston is not the place to be without ac or running water.

Sep 15, 08 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra
Sep 15, 08 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

any news on the damage in galveston? are they letting in the press yet?

Sep 15, 08 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

From The Houston Chronicle website chron.com:

"Top city officials ... are pleading with residents who weathered the storm at home to leave the island.

Galveston Mayor Lyda Ann Thomas today also asked those who evacuated to stay away.

"There is nothing to come here for right now," Thomas said. "Please leave. I am asking people to leave."

City officials have yet to decide whether to force people off the island.

Searchers have accounted for 1,500 survivors thus far as they go house to house. Nearly 150 structures have collapsed across the island as a result of Hurricane Ike's assault, spokeswoman Alicia Cahill said.

... One of the survivors found by a search team had suffered an estimated 1,000 mosquito bites and was flown to a hospital on the mainland, Cahill said."

The only press I have seen is the ones already there and the helicopters which are from khou goto khou.com and you can find some video footage.

Sep 15, 08 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra
http://www.khou.com/video/
Sep 15, 08 4:12 pm  · 
 · 

the missing windows make that tower look better.

chupacabra glad you are alright, I am curious with the water not being safe to bath with. Did they say why?

Sep 15, 08 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

pollution in the ground water.

Sep 15, 08 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Chupacabra - Glad to hear you are safe. It was crazy in Cincy yesterday. Lots and lots of wind damage. What makes it even crazier is that we had NO rain. Hope you are able to get home soon to your cats and everything else.

Sep 15, 08 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
thirsty

I'm alive! We just got power last night. Went to work today, but the building didn't have power, so I guess some places still don't have it. Many trees fell in my area, but luckily none fell on top of houses in my block.

And yes, Houston is not a place to be without ac, especially for pansies like me. I do like the cold front we're getting though.

Sep 15, 08 11:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: