Archinect
anchor

what do you think of this.....superstar....

Xing

did anyone take a look at this ?

http://www.dezeen.com/2008/09/11/superstar-a-mobile-china-town-by-mad/

Sep 12, 08 10:57 am

it is anti thinking. plus, the olympics are over. we are now getting ready for a war with russia. china is an old story. so, this projerk is very retro...... next rendering please...

Sep 12, 08 11:15 am  · 
 · 
Gordon

archigram II

Sep 12, 08 11:17 am  · 
 · 

...except dumb.

Sep 12, 08 11:18 am  · 
 · 
rehiggins

isn't that Superman's spaceship?

Sep 12, 08 11:49 am  · 
 · 

archigram was dumb.

willfully so. just as mad is doing.

i am impressed by the fact that they are pursuing projects that are not intended to be built but are simply provocations

which was really the entire idea of archigram and superstudio, wasn't it?

not s compelling, but maybe that is because it is still too small...

Sep 12, 08 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Is this the first chinese arcology?

Sep 12, 08 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

Thank god, though, for crazy dreams.

I was worried that we didn't have any bombastic architectural maniacs left. From Ledoux to Le Corbusier to Archigram to early Koolhaas—who else now is willing to propose a landscape-destroying megalith just for the sake of architecture?

I love it. It gets us thinking.

Sep 12, 08 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

Palins - death star

Sep 12, 08 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

"From Ledoux to Le Corbusier to Archigram to early Koolhaas"
what do you mean early Koolhaas, he's more of a "bombastic architectural maniac" than ever and it's being built...

Sep 12, 08 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

the model is actually quite beautiful. as concept i prefer this to the ugly-makers, people like lebbeus woods and michael sorkin.

Sep 12, 08 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
Elimelech

quite frankly it seems way under cooked. And as far as the Archigram comparison, I simply dont see it.

I mean listen to what they say the role of this star is:
“MAD’s response to the redundant and increasingly out-of-date nature of the contemporary Chinatown”.

Do you buy that they had such a narrow scope?

Is it really about making fun of the unfounded western fears of a chinese invasion (real, economic, and/or simply cultural)?, is it a joke about starchitects and signature buildings?

Archigram's cities were odes to techno-utopianism, open and ever growing/moving. This one seems completely insular, with inhabitants that look inwards only, Chinatown as an architectural and cultural island.

Sep 12, 08 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
tenn

i can't wait to see the Christmas tree upon which it will reside.

give me a break, i'd rather see a well-designed door handle.

Sep 12, 08 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
archjimmy

next time, they should make a super-logo like this~....

Made An Dick........................

Sep 12, 08 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

Gorgeous model. and yeah, I think all of the above is entirely intentional, Elimelech.

I mean, c'mon: "Moving around the world, the mobile town would produce all it’s own energy and recycle all its own waste, requiring no resources from its host city."

I love that these days you just say that and not have to come up with some bogus diagram with blue arrows chasing away the red ones.

---------------------

Another thing: I like the running theme lately of crazy siteless urban projects that are photoshopped into unlikely and ironic global locations. More of that, please.

---------------------

And another thing: everytime I think the comments on archinect are getting bad, I go and look at other design sites like curbed or dezeen. Wow, it's just a race to the bottom in places like that. How many different ways can those people come up with to say 'it sucks!', or 'it's awesome!'?

Sep 12, 08 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

“MAD’s response to the redundant and increasingly out-of-date nature of the contemporary Chinatown”.

why not propose something that actually attempts to fix the problem rather than skew a cube 17 times and then boolean it seven copies of itself on rhino and fabricate it?

nice model though, i have to say..

Sep 12, 08 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

Ivo, you say of Koolhaas that "he's more of a "bombastic architectural maniac" than ever and it's being built..."

Not his craziest stuff. Even CCTV is tame compared to early projects like Exodus and Le Grande Ax (where he proposed obliterating most of old Paris and replacing it with new stuff.)

Make no little dreams, architects.

Sep 12, 08 4:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: