Archinect
anchor

Reenactment of BIG BANG

Antisthenes
http://news.google.com/?ncl=1241609362&hl=en&topic=h

anybody following this news? it is fascinating.

Sep 10, 08 12:31 pm
el jeffe

did you read wired's summary

some of the comments are pretty funny...
a favorite:

"Oh shit! Someone's doing science!
Bust out the torches and pitchforks."

Sep 10, 08 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

I love science. Dawkins words it best.

Sep 10, 08 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

dawkins indeed - "ateapotist."

Sep 10, 08 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

anti - did you follow the whole pz myers/dawkins 'expelling' at the expelled premiere? brilliant....

Sep 10, 08 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

yeah they turned on the LHC but it won't be fully revved up for a few weeks or more.

here's the timeline: http://quegrande.org/countdown/

Sep 10, 08 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
weem_of_crete

At full capacity, the LHC produces the Zaha, a tiny, elemental, ego-driven particle.

Sep 11, 08 1:31 am  · 
 · 
scribble
http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&q=tim%20keller&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv#

The above video is incredible.

Tim Keller, lead pastor of The Redeemer in NYC blows Dawkins out of the water. Keller is one of the leading Christian apologists on today's scene and approaches these issues in an intellectual way that is impossible to ignore.

As for the Big Bang - I'll continue to believe that a random explosion wasn't responsible for the millions of conditions needed to not only create a life supporting planet, but to create life itself.

If we are but a mere "accident" and have created our own rules, moral codes, etc. then Charles Manson shouldn't be in prison and 9/11 was a good deed. I mean why not? Scientology says that humans are the most powerful creatures in the world and that we create are own truths. Over 1 million abortions per year shows what happens when we create our own morality.

You won't believe in God because you want a world in which you make your own truth and have no body is answer to. However, you run around aimlessly, searching for happiness and hunting down the "truth". You'll believe that 9/11 was an inside job and that an alien body is being held in secret at Area 51, but you won't give creation a chance.

Shame on you....

Sep 11, 08 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I remember hearing there is a very small chance this thing will create a black hole. What they don't say is that the odds of this thing creating a black hole are the same as every time you turn on your computer.

Sep 11, 08 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK
Who is this clown? What's with all the trolls lately anyway?

</inner dialogue>

So, I love Wired. Quote: "Q: WTF is a Large Hadron Collider? A: Hadrons are the parent family for protons and neutrons. The collider will smash protons together to see what they're made of." Ha ha, good to know, I thought it was some guy's name...

Sep 11, 08 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™
Here's

a great little piece on the LHC and its detractors.

One of them, Professor Otto Rossler, a retired German chemist, said he feared the experiment may create a devastating quasar – a mass of energy fuelled by black holes – inside the Earth.

‘Nothing will happen for at least four years,’ he said. ‘Then someone will spot a light ray coming out of the Indian Ocean during the night and no one will be able to explain it.

‘A few weeks later, we will see a similar beam of particles coming out of the soil on the other side of the planet. Then we will know there is a little quasar inside the planet.’

fucking awesome!

Sep 11, 08 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
dia

scribble,

Give me a scenario of creationism without an underlying reliance on anthropomorphism and I might listen to you. Most christian dogmatists have a naive child-like innocence that is quite amusing...

Anyway....

I liked the headlines the day after it was turned on - "LHC on and we are still here and alive!" The issue is not turning it on and running some particles around - it is when the first collision happens.

Sep 11, 08 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
scribble

Anthropomorphic creation is the root of the Bible, so wouldn't it make sense that a Christian would believe in such?

Belief in nothing is child-like and naive- the most profound philosophers of today will tell you that.

Watch the Keller video and you'll be effectively put in your place.

Sep 11, 08 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

there is no such thing as a chistian silly scribble, only some people who are hypocritical who label them selfs as such

liying to children is child abuse.

you put yourself in your own place by flaming others in what was otherwise a civil thread

apologist... hahahah (sic)

Sep 11, 08 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
dia

No,

I'm not going to watch it. Not interested. It won't be correct - it will present a moralistic basis for scientific and evolutionary development.

But you are right, Christianity is based on anthropomorphism which is why it should'nt be listened to - it's just a reasonably sophisticated fairy tale pieced together from a range of pagan myths.

Sep 11, 08 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

ok, here it is:

BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 11, 08 8:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: