Archinect
anchor

Humanitarian Architect needed for Lecture @ Philadelphia University

R.12:6-8

Hey all,

I'm involved with an national organization know as Freedom by Design, the community service initiative of the AIAS. In brief, FBD uses the skills and talents of architecture and design students to radically impact the lives of the low-income elderly and disabled population through modest alterations to their living environments. Check it out at www.aias.org/freedom

At Philadelphia University, our FBD chapter is trying to make it a tradition to host lecturers who approach the use of design skills and talents with a similar attitude. For instance, Scott Shall spoke about his International Design Clinic and they work he has done in various countries around the world. By doing this, it is our hopes that students will learn that architecture can be more than just the typical eye-candy that is flashed at most lectures (not that I am minimizing it, for it is amazing stuff).

So, if you or anyone you know knows of a professional or an organization whos practice deals with developing solutions to humanitarian crises, please let me know.

Thanks.

Sep 9, 08 12:14 am
vi_d

What about Philadelphia Community Design Collaborative?

Sep 9, 08 9:08 am  · 
 · 
ether

you might try emailing Cameron Sinclair. he frequents the forums and might be able to help you.

Sep 9, 08 9:38 am  · 
 · 
surface
http://www.archeworks.org/
Sep 10, 08 1:12 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

try any the speakers from the 8 Structures for Inclusion conferences (that's at least 40 folks there), anyone from Design Like You Give A Damn or Good Deeds, Good Design 1 or 2......

Some other ideas.

Common Ground (NYC)
CUP (NYC)
Design Corps (NC)
Public Architecture
Gulf Coast Community Design Studio
Nathaniel Corum
Teddy Cruz
Terrence Curry
DIRT Studio
Walter Hood
Project Locus
Rural Studio
BASIC Initiative and/or Sergio Palleroni
The Detroit Collaborative Design Center
Over the Rhine Center for Community Engagement
The Global Studio (winners of our last challenge)
any of the CurryStone Prize finalists -- http://currystonedesignprize.com/

I'm sure there are more but this will get you started. RISD/Brown have a great conference coming up in November on this subject.

Sep 10, 08 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Highly recommended: Hector LaSala of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette is an engaging and wonderful speaker; his students' work with Acadiana Outreach Project is amazing.

Link to his work on One Small Project here.

Sep 10, 08 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

R12 - I don't have any ideas for lecturers, but I wanted to say that I graduated from Phila U. Hi!

Sep 10, 08 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: