Archinect
anchor

2013 AIA Compensation Report

http://www.architectmagazine.com/business/2013-aia-compensation-report.aspx

Thoughts?

Aug 13, 13 6:49 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

nope, thought that seeing the survey might help ease my lower GI issues, but it only made it worse, or better, i don't know, the pain is too much.

Aug 13, 13 9:44 pm  · 
 · 

it pays, quite literally, to be a big cog in a big firm...

Aug 13, 13 10:11 pm  · 
 · 

"It’s no longer so bleak ... salaries for most positions again failed to keep up with the pace of inflation"

Annual Inflation Rate at 1.4%

AIA = Association of Insolvent Architects

Aug 13, 13 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Average Intern 1 salary of around $40k?  How does this square with all the stories of unpaid internships being the norm?  Something doesn't add up.  Respondents to this survey probably tend to be self-selected.  The lower the pay, the more ashamed you are to answer truthfully.  I also wonder if the compensation number includes employer's share of SS, workman's comp, health insurance, unemployment comp, etc.

Aug 15, 13 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Aside from the altruistic motive of wanting to help the profession by contributing to an accurate body of salary information, I think most firms that participate in the AIA's salary survey do so in order to receive a discounted copy of the results. So yes, the participants are self selected and perhaps do not include much, if any, data from "abusive" firms. But, that does not devalue the results -- the number of firms that do participate is large and the number of individual positions reported is very large.

One cannot know for certain how carefully participants prepare the data they submit. However, my firm has participated in the survey for many years and we take a lot of care in preparing our data to reflect our actual payroll figures. I have discussed this topic with other firms in our area and I believe the vast majority also approach the survey in a similar manner.

The survey form asks participants to report only  the amounts actually paid directly to employees (i.e. W-2 income) -- the other payroll costs questioned above by geezertect are not  to be included in the sums reported.

Aug 15, 13 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

some of you may have heard mark friedlander's professional practice lectures from uic. friedlander is a construction lawyer and often mentioned in the lectures how underpaid architects are. one example, he used was comparing himself to helmut jahn. i'm paraphrasing but his comment was something along the lines of ...helmut jahn who is an internationally known architect bills at about 250 dollars an hour. i bill 600 dollars an hour." jus' sayin'

Aug 15, 13 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

$600/hr... Im drooling on my keyboard...except for the hourly part. There is something I find very attractive about lump sum bids. I can usually get closer to what I am worth if I quote the client in a lump sum format vs an hourly rate... But I digress and return to drooling... $600...

Aug 15, 13 6:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: