Archinect
anchor

two years, small firm, chicago, 42000?

useasbacku

I've checked out salary poll and it seems salaries vary a lot and I'm sure firm size matters too. from the survey, for those who had 1.5-3 yrs experiences, salary range from 35500 to 45000. I'd both M.Arch and B.Arch, good design and presentation skills, not too much CD experiences, 2 yrs experiences in starfirm. is it ok to ask for 42000 from a small firm (

Sep 4, 08 3:28 pm
MArch n' unemployed

my first job was in chicago working for a firm of about 25-30, i had no masters and no experience and i was paid $32K, with a MArch i'd think you should be able to get closer to $50

Sep 4, 08 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I'd ask for 45 and settle down to 42 if necessary. 50k would require mos def more experience.

Sep 4, 08 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i'd ask for at LEAST 45k.

Sep 4, 08 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

I'd temper my expectations for the time being if I were you. The design/construction market isn't exactly going like gang busters right now.

Sep 4, 08 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
Xing

So Chicago's salary situation is close to NYC?

Sep 4, 08 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
simples

yes, 42k seems reasonable - 45k-50k would be pushing it, but it depends on your skillset, and what they are looking for;

Sep 4, 08 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
useasbacku

thanks. got it!

Sep 5, 08 9:10 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

That salary poll is a mess. I wouldn't gage any concept of what the going rate is off that thing. The AIA salary poll is probably best.

Sep 5, 08 9:33 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Dont ask for too little!!! 45,000 at least

Sep 8, 08 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

Well, with the economy not looking very good, I'd take it. You should also evaluate your student load debt, though.

Sep 23, 08 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
Gomez

The Chicago's economy is very bad ,so the m.Arch and B,arch are getting this salary...............
----------------------------------------
Gomez
Homes For Sale By Owner

Sep 23, 08 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
LightMyFire66

Ridiculous. I didn't get $42k until I had over 8 years of experience

and i was working 2 jobs!

you should be as happy as a pig in mud

Sep 24, 08 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
ScottC

Ridiculous that you didn't make 60k (since you had 2 years of experience in 1997 I had to adjust for inflation) after 2 years of experience. Really?

Sep 26, 08 11:30 am  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

Don't listen to these people. This is the problem with architects. Simple business question gets answered by a bunch of people who don't know anything about salary/negotiation skills or what their self-worth is as design professionals.

With an MArch, working in Chicago, you should be able to get at least $55,000. Ask for 60, negotiate down. If they don't take it, look for another job, and start negotiating from $65 at the very least. Get some experience doing CD's...leave the firm if they're not allowing you to expand your experience. Otherwise you'll never move up in this business.

Don't let the economy lower your self worth. If you're skilled, then you'll get more. There will always be architecture firms willing to pay for good work. You just have to ask for it. Read a few books on negotiating salary.

FYI, I started off at $35k in NYC in 2000. I'm now up to $95K...and simply because I had the nerve to ask for more. If you don't ask, you'll never get.

FP

Sep 26, 08 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
binary

take the offer ...............

if you dont have the balls to ask for more and can prove it then you dont deserve it....

my first 2 years working in firms in 99/2000 i made $10-12.50 and hour... wtf.....

Sep 26, 08 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

I agree with cryzko...If you don't have the nerve to ask for more, you're not worth it.

One last thing...One thing many architects don't realize is that architecture firms RESPECT people who understand their self worth and are willing to ask and fight for it. It means that you are well versed in selling yourself and your work, and would therefore be well versed in fighting for the firm and contributing to their success. Don't lower your standards just because the majority of professionals in this field live by the graduate student mentality that they can't make money doing design. The reason why architects generally don't make great money isn't because they can't, it's because they don't know they can and too scared to challenge the structure of the practice.

Sep 26, 08 4:27 pm  · 
 · 

I do believe as an individual you should reflect what your cost of living and long term goals are so you can compare that magic number to the typical annual salary of a person with your level of experience. Do what is right for you and not necessary cut yourself short or try to over reach your capabilities. Typically if you make more money and you are not ready for the responsibilities, I can imagine the employer will be less patient with your work habits if they are sub par. Just a thought.

Not getting back to FP's comment regarding why architects generally don't make great money. I completely agree that it appears most architects sell themselves short and have a difficult time standing up for themselves, however what I've realized is that depending how firms are structure they either provide a product(design build) or a service(traditional office). That means that we have to please a client, and what happens a lot of times is that when you've taken enough crap from the client like not being under contract, not paying on time, and just crap in general we have to put up with it, because they will find someone else desperate enough to do the work for cheaper. You can stand up all you want and challenge the way things work, but this is the reality many other factors play a part other than pride and principal.

Michael

Sep 27, 08 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: