Archinect
anchor

Non-arch newbie questions re hiring process!!!

guest123

So I've a number of questions of regarding this whole architecture/design area that I'm hoping you'll help me through:

We are considering adding a 1.5 story addition to our 100y old federal type brick townhouse. We really want to do something very clean and modern. Maximize views in the back with as much glass as possible, be a little more conservative in the front. So far, the design process is a scapbook of our "inspirations" from magazines and also a quick and dirty zoning analysis.

What are the things that I should be looking at in terms of pickin gout an arhictect? We are completely at a loss with respect to costs, procedure, etc. I don't really want to pick an architect based on a combination of lowest fees and a more aesthetically pleasing website, but that is what it is coming to right now. How can I find an architect that understands our design aesthetic? The one site visit that we had, they wanted to make a model (without even looking at our scapbook) - just based on the visit and the conversation. Is this normal? This sounds like a recipe for revisions revisions revisions to me.

Also, is it easier to have an architect be the one managing construction as well as sourcing all materials? The things that we want are so custom, that our current general contractor (from previous renovation) has no idea where to source it.

This all seems so overwhelming and I really feel like we're not really getting anywhere. Can't explain what we want to the architect. Short of learning CAD on our own - how can we learn to comminicate better with the architects? What is the process for picking and hiring?

Any insight and suggestions would be really appreciated. We are total novices to this and need more hand holding than a typical client.

Sep 4, 08 2:09 am
holz.box

geez.

you might want to get a better contractor...

Sep 4, 08 2:25 am  · 
 · 
fountainplace

Sam Mockbee did a rural studio for Auburn when he was alive, which had a lot of modern influences for just about the cheapest prices with materials that were very cheap and/ or free. The Goat House, I remember, had an addition to an old house which separated but also unified the newer section:

Very sweet. It may be hard to find an architect that would do something like that for a reasonable price these days, but I would ask various boutique firms in your area. They usually appreciate more unique jobs and welcome the paycheck.

Sep 4, 08 2:27 am  · 
 · 
fountainplace

And yes, perhaps you are consulting jackasses.

Sep 4, 08 2:28 am  · 
 · 
fountainplace

Yes, I am being pretentious.

Sep 4, 08 2:30 am  · 
 · 
fountainplace

And what does design aesthetic mean?

Sep 4, 08 2:32 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

guest123 "How can I find an architect that understands our design aesthetic?"

but its more like how can you find an architect whose 'design aesthetic' you can understand. that would be an easier question to answer ... and then s/he might be likey to understand yours.
magazines, architect's portfolio, likeable things have you seen around in your region...?

guest123 "Can't explain what we want to the architect."

Try coming up, by yourself, peacefully and calmly over a glass of wine, with a list of functional requisites and another of 'aesthetic' impressions. At least you have something to begin with and you know what is essential and whats less essential. Then go through it with the architect; she might come up with even better ways of acheiving your aims for the project since thats her profession. you might end up making architectural love by the end of it.

There are architects who are quite adept at being good client interpreters and therapists ... but there are architects who also need therapists.

Sep 4, 08 4:44 am  · 
 · 

guest -

i don't know whether you're in a big city or a small town and that could certainly affect how you go about identifying someone with whom you want to work.

if you're near a city, find out if their local aia chapter has an office and talk to someone there.

or call an architect at a firm NOT known for residential work who might be willing to give a series of recommendations for architects with whom they're not in competition.

talk to as many architects as possible and you'll begin to get a feel for your local architectural community. a few names will begin to come up again and again. contact those architects.

if you were willing to tell us where you are, some of us might be able to help even more specifically.

and, beware, you will likely get a lot of static and snarkiness. it's the nature of a discussion forum...

Sep 4, 08 7:52 am  · 
 · 
"The Co-op Guy"

In regards to the model, I think thats pretty cool that a firm would want to explore the design process with physical models right after the site visit. And architecture is all about revisions. It starts with a concept and grows and morphs and gets detailed until it becomes the plan. Try to be open to explorative processes and you might even find some 'design aesthetics' or ideas that you like and didn't even think of.

Just remember, architecture is an art, an art of the creation of space for you, so this process should be fun for you and your architect to work together to make something you'll really enjoy.

Sep 4, 08 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

- you may want to visit this website: You and Your Architect - there are useful materials there that you can download.

Sep 4, 08 6:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: