Archinect
anchor

Zap-a-gap dried out

garbanzo_esquire

Zap-a-gap is expensive and I found a half full bottle that I haven't touched for 2 years. The glue has solidified and I was wondering if anyone knew how to recover it. Solvents? Putting the bottle in hot water? Any ideas? Thanks.

Sep 3, 08 12:49 am
Laurem

I doubt it can be recovered. Atleast not in a way that it would still bond after being re-liquified.

I def know that hot water doesn't work... all those times I glued my fingers together.

Sep 3, 08 10:57 am  · 
 · 
PodZilla

I think it's done for. Man up and buy a new bottle... it always works best when it's fresh, anyway.

Sep 3, 08 11:36 am  · 
 · 
mr_minnesota

zapagap is the lazy man's glue. not to mention toxic to you and your peers.

Sep 3, 08 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
garbanzo_esquire

rich lazy man's i should think. thanks for response. nbn, what do you recommend?

Sep 5, 08 6:49 am  · 
 · 
PodZilla

SOBO!!!

Sep 5, 08 10:24 am  · 
 · 
weem_of_crete

If there is truly a tectonic relationship between the elements you are trying to bind, they shouldn't have to be glued.

Sep 5, 08 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

mmmmmmmmmmmmm, i love the smell of zap-a-gap and kicker in the morning. it smells like design!

in my experience, zap-a-gap works well if you're making a quick study model. it works ok in compression but is very weak in tension. also it depends on what materials you're using. if you're making a finish model that is primarily bass or museum board or even chip, i would use aileene's tacky glue or some similar white glue. it takes a little bit longer to set (although works pretty quickly actually) but you get a very strong bond that works in compression as well as tension. plus, you don't get those ugly stains that can happen from zap and kicker combo.

man, i miss school!

Sep 5, 08 6:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: