Archinect
anchor

portfolio size and format

MArch n' unemployed

i am in the process of putting my portfolio together, ultimately i'd like to have it printed and bound in some way, but unfortunately i don't have the time to do that right now. so in the meantime i need something that will do for interviews.

i had begun laying everything out in A4 format with the intentions of printing it myself. only i have realized that the A4 paper choices are limited along with the availability of A4 portfolios to put the pages in. i could probably re-format to 8.5x11, but i hate the proportion.

does anyone know of any good A4 sized portfolios? i'd rather not make the binding into a huge design exercise - at least not right now.

suggestions?

thanks

Sep 2, 08 3:52 pm
xacto

1. place last page face up
2. spread left margin with mayo
3. place next page on top
4. squeeze excess mayo out
5. repeat

or you could always try searching the forum

Sep 2, 08 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

i prefer miracle whip

and thanks for the search tip, i found a great thread....oh wait, it's the one i just started

Sep 2, 08 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

not sure if a thread can be great if there are only 3 posts, and 2 are yours
so i'll add a 4th!

one question i have for you
why do you need to make the binding a huge design exercise?
i think most places you go wont really care if you designed the binding of your portfolio or not

i bought a simple black portfolio that i slipped all my work into, and it worked out fine for me
you dont need to make a big production out of the binding, it really wont help you that much finding a job

i understand what you are saying about not liking the proportion of 8.5x11
but is it really that big a deal?
potential employers will be flipping through your portfolio the same either way, and a lot of times will not appreciate or notice or care about the difference between an A4 sheet and 8.5x11 sheet

Sep 2, 08 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Hey MArch 06 don't be a smartass, this has been discussed many, many times before.

Sep 2, 08 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

marmkind, you are misunderstanding me...i DON'T want to design and fabricate the binding, i'd much rather buy a black portfolio to put the pages in, the post was perhaps a long winded way of asking if anyone has used or knows of a A4 sized portfolio as you mentioned. and perhaps no one cares about the difference between 8.5x11 and A4, but i prefer A4 and i've also started laying it out that way.

and while portfolios may be discussed tons of times, asking about a specific A4 sized portfolio has not, so im not sure why im a smartass.

Sep 2, 08 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

ok i did misunderstand

i dont know of any but havent looked for a portfolio in about 3 years now

also
why is the person who responds to a smartass comment with another smartass comment in the wrong?
he didnt come here and with his first comment and thread as a question

seriously, if you dont like the thread, dont post in it
it is really not that hard to ignore a thread

Sep 2, 08 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

^ hear hear

Sep 2, 08 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Because it has been, 11x17, A4, etc. etc. have been discussed in other threads.

If you like the look of an A4 portfolio, and this is something you personally will be flipping through at a job interview, than go with an A4 sized portfolio/binder/etc.

If your sending hard copies of your stuff to a U.S. employer as part of a job app package it is a very good idea to stick with 8.5x11, that way its easy to handle and fits in American filing cabinets anything else will be thrown away.

That answer your question?

Sep 2, 08 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

perhaps by qualifying my decision i opened the door for different interpretations, but im not asking for opinions on my format. it was meant as a simple question, where can i find a good A4 sized portfolio to buy? that's it.

Sep 2, 08 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

and i would say thats a completely valid question to start a thread on

i dont really understand why its not

no one is forcing you to post in every thread, or look at every thread

Sep 2, 08 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I recommend picking the size from lulu. or ..yet in all the stress of it, ....I ended up not using them in the end...so I invented a binding with dbl-sided tape.

Sep 2, 08 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
Laurem

I was going to suggest Lulu as well.

Sep 3, 08 10:59 am  · 
 · 

MArch06 a few questions to help respond to your questions.

Where are you? I'm guessing north of the pond? Blighty or the continent? I have a few suggested locations where you might be able to find something worthy of the discerning architect?

Also where are you applying? US, north of the Pond, across a different pond? I say this only because despite what others previously stated some people will care. Often when portfolios came in our office they did with the resumes and contact information as part of it, so it usually involved the clerk copying those pages....its a headache sometimes (if not for the copier, for the person reading it after)

Anyway once you've answered those questions a representative will respond within 3 business days. Thank you

Sep 4, 08 12:49 am  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

architechnophilia -

very far away from the pond - socal. i definitely hear what you're saying about printing/copying pages that are mis-formatted or in the case of A4 in the US just plain old odd. this is for my portfolio that i will carry around with me, it isn't for the teaser package that will be emailed and undoubtedly printed. as much as i love the proportion of A4, im thinking it'll just be easier to re-format the few pages i've done so far so i can actually print and find a portfolio that fits.

Sep 4, 08 1:04 am  · 
 · 

You should let your preferred paper size dictate where you apply for jobs. Forget about the US - let ISO 216 be your guide....

Sep 4, 08 4:52 am  · 
 · 
kyleseyz

Itoya portfolio, letter size: $6.68

going to a copy center, bringing your own A4 that you've printed out, and letting them run it through the spiral bind machine and backing it with a nice piece of matte board: $1.55

you can have your cake and eat it too

Sep 4, 08 11:13 am  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

i wish Evan...my wife wouldn't have it, nor would our older grandparents...maybe someday

Sep 4, 08 1:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: